Help! Memory cards are no longer recognized!

Got a data recovery situation and have a question? This is where to ask.
JeanJaqueJuso

Help! Memory cards are no longer recognized!

Post by JeanJaqueJuso »

Hi, I was filming an event the other day and used two 256GB Kingston brand memory cards there, as dual storage, to make sure nothing happened. (While filming, I was able to view my footage over and over again in the camera). When I got home I wanted to view my footage on my MacBook, only I had the problem that it didn't recognize the memory card. I inserted my 2 card on the same material was and this was briefly recognized, but after a few minutes ejected again and since then no longer recognized. I then plugged it into my iMac, but the same thing there ... when I then came up with the idea of plugging my camera into my Mac with USB c and using it as a reader, so to speak, this seemed to work briefly, however it also then threw me out again.

I'm really getting desperate and don't understand what the problem could be. It can't be that two memory cards break at the same time.

When my MB recognized it briefly, I also saw that the memory is occupied, which means the camera was still able to write to the card successfully and my recordings are on the card.

Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

I am grateful for any help!

Ps. Also the hard drive utility does not recognize my card.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Help! Memory cards are no longer recognized!

Post by lcoughey »

It seems odd that both cards would fail at the same time, unless they happen to be fakes I suppose. Anyway, if your data is important to you, I suggest you have them assessed by a data recovery professional who has the right tools to safely diagnose and recover the data without risking further data loss.

If you choose to go at it on your own, you should first start by getting a full sector-by-sector image of each card. Most professional data recovery programs like R-Studio, UFS Explorer, ReclaiMe, GetDataBack and so on have built-in abilities to image the source drive. The only requirements are that the patient drive is detected by the operating system and that the destination drive where you are saving the image files has enough space to hold the image file the same size as the source (ie 256GB, in your case).

Once you have an image file, you can then scan the image file with various data recovery programs to see which gives the best results.