Canon R6 CR3 format

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
fzabkar
Lurker

Re: Canon R6 CR3 format

Post by fzabkar »

I managed to extract 1620 x 1080 x 24bit JPEGs from each .cr3 file, plus 160 x 120 x 24bit thumbnails. That could be an option if other methods fail.
davey
Lurker

Post by davey »

Hi fzabkar,

appreciate that, but we need RAWs :/ photorec script is a brilliant idea (and one and only for now) unless i find software that already implemented solution.

btw that`s odd situation, that particular camera settings have influence to CR3 format...

Regards,
Davey
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

fzabkar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:38 am I managed to extract 1620 x 1080 x 24bit JPEGs from each .cr3 file, plus 160 x 120 x 24bit thumbnails. That could be an option if other methods fail.
Yes, so can I but then better option would be to scan using JpegDigger and hunt for higher resolution embedded JPEGs.
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

fzabkar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:01 am
Joep wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:54 amIt is as if the carver decides to end carving when it encounters the 'free' atom. I bet if it just continued and ignored the free atom the CR3 could be correct.
I notice that PhotoRec "recovers the mdat atom as a separate file". Would it be possible to use PhotoRec to carve the data and then stitch the two parts of each file together with a .bat script? That appears to be the approach taken by PhotoRec users.

https://git.cgsecurity.org/cgit/testdis ... file_mov.c
I am pretty certain that using DMDE we can carve the CR3's.
Do you have DMDE? I am suggesting DMDE because it's the only thing (AFAIK) that allows for setting up a decent end signature.
davey
Lurker

Post by davey »

Joep wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:01 am
fzabkar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:38 am I managed to extract 1620 x 1080 x 24bit JPEGs from each .cr3 file, plus 160 x 120 x 24bit thumbnails. That could be an option if other methods fail.
Yes, so can I but then better option would be to scan using JpegDigger and hunt for higher resolution embedded JPEGs.
Already did that, afair JpegDigger succeeded :) but RAW only is our goal.
Joep wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:05 am
fzabkar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:01 am
Joep wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:54 amIt is as if the carver decides to end carving when it encounters the 'free' atom. I bet if it just continued and ignored the free atom the CR3 could be correct.
I notice that PhotoRec "recovers the mdat atom as a separate file". Would it be possible to use PhotoRec to carve the data and then stitch the two parts of each file together with a .bat script? That appears to be the approach taken by PhotoRec users.

https://git.cgsecurity.org/cgit/testdis ... file_mov.c
I am pretty certain that using DMDE we can carve the CR3's.
Do you have DMDE? I am suggesting DMDE because it's the only thing (AFAIK) that allows for setting up a decent end signature.
Awesome! Yes, i do have DMDE. If needed i can provide part of image where problematic CR3`s signatures was found (original is 2TB) for testing purposes.

To sum up : problem is premature eof because of some newly created atom in each CR3 structure, we need to ignore it or "stitch" parts of file as fzabkar said.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Oh yes, if we can be fairly certain part of image does contain files we're after that could be useful.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

I only have the few files you gave me and some I got from dpreview.com, but for these it works. With this I carve intact CR3 files that preview in explorer and that open in RawDigger. It goes specifically for the R6 CR3 files. Of course non contiguous files can not be recovered this way. I got some false positives but those are easily detected due to odd sizes - Best to set file size filter before copying!
Attachments
CR3-R6.rar
(1001 Bytes) Downloaded 533 times
davey
Lurker

Post by davey »

Joep wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm I only have the few files you gave me and some I got from dpreview.com, but for these it works. With this I carve intact CR3 files that preview in explorer and that open in RawDigger. It goes specifically for the R6 CR3 files. Of course non contiguous files can not be recovered this way. I got some false positives but those are easily detected due to odd sizes - Best to set file size filter before copying!
On it, i`ll let You know about results.
davey
Lurker

Post by davey »

Joep wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm I only have the few files you gave me and some I got from dpreview.com, but for these it works. With this I carve intact CR3 files that preview in explorer and that open in RawDigger. It goes specifically for the R6 CR3 files. Of course non contiguous files can not be recovered this way. I got some false positives but those are easily detected due to odd sizes - Best to set file size filter before copying!
There`s progress, update:

-whole 2TB image scanned with DMDE prepared ini by Joep
-R6 RAW`s found - correct size (~ 30MB each) and quantity but unreadable under RAWDigger etc. None of software i have can`t repair / partially show contents of file.

I`ve cut 50GB of image where "normal" and R6 CR3`s are located, uploaded do gdrive (Joep i`ve sent You link)

Regards,
Davey
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Downloading.

If you could also share a few of the recovered files, that may be useful too.

Also, I hope you have the correct signature file, because I updated it one time, shortly after I uploaded first version. For completeness sake I attached it again to this message.
CR3-R6.rar
(995 Bytes) Downloaded 532 times

I suggest to try it, recover like 10 CR3 files and check those. What you have there sounds like my previous version and although these files are very easy to repair, it's still not what we want ..