Raid 5 Recovery Help

Discuss RAID / NAS Servers, their issues and data recovery.
Mogwai

Raid 5 Recovery Help

Post by Mogwai »

Hi there

I've been trying to recover date from my accidentally deleted shared folder on my synology nas and wondered which software would be best to do so (on Win10)

I tried already several but could only find some hundred GBs with r-studio.

Next i wanted to try Disk Drill but i couldn't even figure out how to tell the software that the 6 disks were a raid 5. Scanning them separately is useless. So i think i'll drop this.

Stellar seems to have a good looking raid 5 tool, but is it any good? (read in another thread it's just garbage...)

Any other suggestions?

Best regards

Mogwai
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Raid 5 Recovery Help

Post by lcoughey »

I highly recommend UFS Explorer RAID. But, take note that Linux file systems are not designed for data recovery, so it is possible that you will be limited to a RAW recovery by file type.

Stellar and Disk Drill are pure garbage. R-Studio has limited Linux file system support.
Mogwai

Post by Mogwai »

Thanx

Thats also a software i alrady used, might even be the one that wad partially successful (wase many weeks ago, hat to take a frustration brake...).

I just installed the latest version and it recognized the partition, although i'm not sure if it's 100% correct (size is correct, but order of disks?). If i start a scan there are several options to choose like "Index this file system and then scan unused space". Which one of these would you suggest? I would go for" "ignore this file system and run scan of entire region".

Mogwai
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

I'd start with the index and scan, but you may find that you will need to go back and do the ignore the file system and scan the entire region if you don't find what you are looking for, assuming that it is there to be recovered.
Mogwai

Post by Mogwai »

I'm almost through with every scan option (takes over 2 days per scan...) and so far none was successful.

I wonder if it would be better to try it with a Linux system and available recovery software. Has anyone a suggestion for a linux based software?

For windows i found another software that looks promising (like they all do according to the marketing peolpe) called "Hetman Software". Anyone already heard/troed this software?

Mogwai
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Hetman just looks like more rebranding of the same garbage out there.

Most high end recovery programs like R-Studio and UFS Explorer have been written to work in Linux, Windows and Mac OS. The host environment really doesn't matter. It is more about the underlying file system support.

I don't see you mentioning anywhere what file system is being used on the NAS...that might be useful knowledge.

As for the amount of time and results, you are now getting a good sense of why RAID data recovery is not cheap. It may be time to stop and send it to a pro. Again, as I have already mentioned, deleted data from a NAS makes for a low odds recovery.

If you happened to be using virtual drives, it could be even worse as the deleted files are likely erased with a TRIM like feature.
Mogwai

Post by Mogwai »

The NAS uses the ext4 file format. But when i check the Network drive in windows it says NTFS...

But the shared folder is definitifely ext4.

Mogwai
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

It seems to me that you are beyond what you can do yourself and need professional assistance or the data you are looking for is no longer there to be recovered.
ddrecovery
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by ddrecovery »

Mogwai wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 pmThats also a software i alrady used, might even be the one that wad partially successful (wase many weeks ago, hat to take a frustration brake...).
You say you first ran the software many weeks ago, have you been using the NAS to save data to since?
Mogwai

Post by Mogwai »

No, the NAS was not used. I cloned the disks and put the originals in a computer case where they were only used for recovery attempts.

Theoretically the date should still be there, but if you delete a shared folder directly in the NAS configuration, thats pretty bad i guess...

Maybe the software has problems finding the correct order of the 6 discs, but then again it youldn't make sense that a partition with the correct available memory is found, right?

Mogwai