Raw Data question

Got a data recovery situation and have a question? This is where to ask.
Hollywood691
Lurker

Re: Raw Data question

Post by Hollywood691 »

I had to respond yet again on WD board after seeing you and magnificent_starfish responses.......

and can I ask one more question? If you buy a new, say 4TB USB HD....WD, Seagte etc. It has their stuff on it to setup password or whatever (which I never do)......brand new can you format it and get rid of the encryption from the usb/sata bridge, so it wont be encrypted when written to right from the start as new?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Hollywood691 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm I had to respond yet again on WD board after seeing you and magnificent_starfish responses.......

and can I ask one more question? If you buy a new, say 4TB USB HD....WD, Seagte etc. It has their stuff on it to setup password or whatever (which I never do)......brand new can you format it and get rid of the encryption from the usb/sata bridge, so it wont be encrypted when written to right from the start as new?
Western Digital drives do the encryption in the background. There is no option to disable it...at least not without a lot of screwing around.
Hollywood691
Lurker

Post by Hollywood691 »

ahh, ok. I was just curious....I had gotten a 4TB seagate expansion external HD to use as a destination media in the vision that i "thought" I could do it......I was just wondering if I could somehow set it to not encrypt.
Hollywood691
Lurker

Post by Hollywood691 »

Can I ask another question? When you get done Luke, will I be able to format that HD and use it again?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Hollywood691 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm Can I ask another question? When you get done Luke, will I be able to format that HD and use it again?
In theory, yes. I'll look into that further after we deal with the initial issues of recovering the data.
Hollywood691
Lurker

Post by Hollywood691 »

lcoughey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:09 pm
Hollywood691 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm Can I ask another question? When you get done Luke, will I be able to format that HD and use it again?
In theory, yes. I'll look into that further after we deal with the initial issues of recovering the data.
ahh, Ok,...sorry dont want to jump the gun lol