NAS Synology DS1515+ (BTRFS file system) attacked by hacker

Discussions about SysDev's UFS Explorer and R-Explorer
https://www.ufsexplorer.com/ (professional data recovery software)
https://www.r-explorer.com/ (more simple version of UFS Explorer)
Skyclad
Lurker

NAS Synology DS1515+ (BTRFS file system) attacked by hacker

Post by Skyclad »

I wanted to share my positive experience of this case using this amazing software.

As per subject, the NAS was attacked by a hacker and obviously after having encrypted some files it had also ruined the file system (BTRFS).

The customer was willing to pay the ransom but the hacker told him he couldn't decrypt because he didn't know the file system (BTRFS). So after cloning the 5 of 4TB drives I run UFS.

It assembled the virtual RAID. Unfortunately the file system was broken so I did a full volume scan.

In the end, the folder that interested the customer was empty while there were other folders named by the algorithm but with little data that could be of interest.

So I tried a competitor SW, which I don't really like as it doesn't show the volume map and requires a lot of memory and sometimes crashes.

However, this program had found the folder the client was interested in and it was (partially) populated, but it had also found hundreds of thousands of folders.

A real nightmare to search for data. So I asked for support from Yuriy who connected remotely did some checks and then disconnected.

I thought he had given up instead by launching the scan with the next version of UFS the required data were all grouped together with their original structure, folders, subfolders, filenames etc, and no longer in hundreds of thousands of folders as they had been found with the SW competitor.

Thanks to this outcome I was able to deliver the data with total customer satisfaction. Some files were encrypted but most were ok.

Great sofware...thanks Yuriy.
ddrecovery
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: NAS Synology DS1515+ (BTRFS file system) attacked by hacker

Post by ddrecovery »

Yuriy is the best.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Yuriy and Bogdan have set the support bar very high for other data recovery software vendors to compete with.
Skyclad
Lurker

Post by Skyclad »

Tim, Luke, completely agree
pclab
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by pclab »

That's excellent to know!