UFS Explorer & Drobo

Discussions about SysDev's UFS Explorer and R-Explorer
https://www.ufsexplorer.com/ (professional data recovery software)
https://www.r-explorer.com/ (more simple version of UFS Explorer)
lcoughey
Site Admin

UFS Explorer & Drobo

Post by lcoughey »

Just a quick post to say that UFS Explorer Professional's Drobo support is incredible and highly recommended for data recovery professionals.
doc

Re: UFS Explorer & Drobo

Post by doc »

I'm trying to recover a Drobo 5N disk pack (5 x 6TB drives, dual-redundancy) with UFS Esplorer RAID. It recognized 4 out of the 5 drives as part of a Drobo array, but it was easy enough to force it to add the 5th. After the prelim scan, I'm doing a "searching for lost data" scan and it is 0.5% complete after 5 hours. This extrapolates out to a 1000-hour recovery! I mean, I'm patient, but I don't really have 41+ days to run this recovery.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

When dealing with large RAID arrays, it can take a very long time to scan and sometimes even longer to save the data out...especially if the person doing the recovery is doing it blindly without any in-depth knowledge of what they are doing. It takes time to recover data, especially large volumes of data on propriety Drobo RAID configurations.
  • Can you confirm that your data is not worth sending to a data recovery professional?
  • Did you run into any issues when making the clones?
  • If it is a double parity RAID, why did you force add the fifth drive which very possibly could be out of sync?
doc

Post by doc »

1. I don't really remember what was on the Drobo but it was probably a backup copy of data stored elsewhere. In any event, I don't have thousands of dollars to send it out for professional recovery, so if it's gone, it's gone; trying UFS to recover it was my last ditch and if it does find good data, it's well worth the $150 to register the software and copy the data.

2. I did not makes clones, I am running the recovery on the original drives.

3. I don't have a really good reason, other than I knew the drive was part of the array. Would you suggest stopping the recovery in progress (6+ hours in at this point), removing that drive from the array, and restarting? If I do stop the recovery in progress, will I be able to see what if anything UFS has been able to find thus far?