Many MRT DE Issues Resolved with the Help of UFS Explorer

lcoughey
Site Admin

Many MRT DE Issues Resolved with the Help of UFS Explorer

Post by lcoughey »

The UFS Explorer team has added support to work directly with a mounted MRT-DE task, fixing the issues that the MRT developers have been ignoring (or not able to fix) for several years.
  • Added file system support
  • Select specific files, folders or used sectors by bitmap and send commands to image
  • Saved files to destination without a long file path
  • Split damaged files to a separate folder, maintaining their full file path (using the MRT sector map as reference)
I had the privilege to have early access to the update with is not yet available and made a quick video to show it in action. I imagine that there will be several tweaks and fixes before it is officially released into the wild.

https://youtu.be/NV3WY3WBqsI
ddrecovery
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: Many MRT DE Issues Resolved with the Help of UFS Explorer

Post by ddrecovery »

Great news. It may make me use my MRT a little more.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

ddrecovery wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:04 pm Great news. It may make me use my MRT a little more.
I'm glad to hear it. I hope that MRT users will not only use UFS to make life better, but that they will also consider supporting the UFS developers by buying a UFS license.
ddrecovery
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by ddrecovery »

lcoughey wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:49 pm
ddrecovery wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:04 pm Great news. It may make me use my MRT a little more.
I'm glad to hear it. I hope that MRT users will not only use UFS to make life better, but that they will also consider supporting the UFS developers by buying a UFS license.
Agreed.
I find ReclaiMe Pro fantastic at some things such as Drobo's and APFS file systems.
UFS is the best at EVERYTHING else.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

I've confirmed the following:
  1. Added file system support
    - tested with NTFS, HFS+ and EXT (thus far)
  2. Select specific files, folders or used sectors by bitmap and send commands to image
    - when imaging multiple files or folders in MRT, it images one file at a time, bouncing around, thrashing heads that are possible crashing
    - UFS makes a map of the selected files and folders and images the entire chain forward or reverse
  3. Saved files to destination without a long file path
    - no more task name, drive model, drive serial, drive firmware and whatever else MRT likes to throw into the root folder name
    - UFS just saves the selected files to the destination of your choosing...no extras needed
  4. Split damaged files to a separate folder, maintaining their full file path (using the MRT sector map as reference)
    - confirmed that this works
During this process, I may have also discovered another bug in MRT. The option to set the clone as read only only seems to work within MRT-DE. But, when you mount a task, it images sectors as third party programs request them. I could be mistaken, but it certainly seems to be this way...which makes it really difficult to fake a damaged drive to test damaged file splitting.