Would a Hybrid SSD/HDD question go here?

RolandJS
Lurker

Would a Hybrid SSD/HDD question go here?

Post by RolandJS »

Would a Hybrid SSD/HDD question go here? Or, in another forum? To be fair, the SSD portion is much smaller than the HDD portion, there is a general, conventional, hard-drive forum?
"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Would a Hybrid SSD/HDD question go here?

Post by lcoughey »

Just ask the question. Though, if it were a Seagate, I'd probably post the question under Seagate. But, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
RolandJS
Lurker

Post by RolandJS »

Seagate 2TB FireCuda SATA 6 GB/S 2.5" HDD -- copy'd and paste from a business retail computer web site.
Anyone here in see any failure pattern with this model?
I have two, one in each Acer Aspire laptop. HardDisk Sentinel reported some re-allocated sectors.

Earlier, I posted the above question in HDDGURU, and one reply mentioned NAND could happen, what is NAND?
"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

With the SSHD, it is an integration of a traditional hard drive spinner and an embedded SSD on the controller board. Rather than store data on platters, SSDs use NAND chips to hold the data. So, particularly with Seagate SSHDs, it is not uncommon for the SSH part of the drive to go bad and/or get corrupted, resulting in less than desirable results. Fortunately, the SSD portion of the drive is used more for caching, rather than holding unique data. When the NAND fails, we usually have to replace the PCB after transferring the ROM and then reconfigure the new SSD to reconnect to the drive.

Basically, SSHD drives are a PITA and I don't see much purpose in using them these days.