New update coming?

Discuss data recovery tools made by MRT Lab (http://en.mrtlab.com)
lcoughey
Site Admin

New update coming?

Post by lcoughey »

According to a chat with MRT service on skype, a new update is coming with new features and added SSD support. In response, I asked them the following question:
Any chance that MRT is going to finally fix the long file path issue in this update? It is a very simple fix. Save the files and folders we select to the destination folder we select.

ie, If I select everything in root (program files, Users, Windows, etc) and save them to d:\recovered\, I should see :

d:\recovered\program files
d:\recovered\Windows
d:\recovered\Users

not

D:\recovered\really long stupid folder name that just uses up some of the 255 character limit for the file path\root\program files
D:\recovered\really long stupid folder name that just uses up some of the 255 character limit for the file path\root\Windows
D:\recovered\really long stupid folder name that just uses up some of the 255 character limit for the file path\root\Users

Then, when we select to have the damaged files saved to a separate folder, it should still maintain the folder path of that file

d:\recovered\damaged\program files
d:\recovered\damaged\Windows
d:\recovered\damaged\Users

If you could fix this, I might actually consider recharging my unit more often for imaging.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: New update coming?

Post by lcoughey »

MRT has now posted some details about what to expect with the new update on their site.

Pilot interpretation of the MRT 2.1.4.x version

My thoughts, from what I can make sense of:
  • New GUI - I'm neutral on this. Though, if it makes it work better with my higher resolution display, it could be considered a positive. I just wish that they'd compile a separate English version so we don't have to see both Chinese and English everywhere.
  • WD SMR drive support (Charger, Palmer and Spyglass) will certainly be a welcomed addition.
  • Added SSD support will be great if it works and supports the more commonly seen SSDs
  • It will be nice to have VMFS and DVR support in DE, but I'm not sure I'd have put them or UFS, specifically, ahead for APFS support.
  • No sign that there will be any fixes for the long file path issues that users have been complaining about for years.
All-in-all, it seems like it should be a good update.
pclab
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by pclab »

And when it will be out?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

According to MRT Service on Skype
there are some final preparations to be done
after that, new update will be released
Whether that is a few days, weeks or months, I have no idea.
pclab
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by pclab »

I don't know if all of those updates (I don't mind of the eye-candy), will eventually be working or not...