Help with CNW mp4 recovery

Got a data recovery situation and have a question? This is where to ask.
sakajo
Lurker

Help with CNW mp4 recovery

Post by sakajo »

Hello. I am trying to recover some mov/mp4 files from a deleted 500GB NTFS hard drive. Some of the files would play and then stop half way through. The files are still full size and length, they just crash a couple of minutes in.

I downloaded CNW recovery, but am having trouble navigating it.

I started a scan at 70% to scan 1% of the drive as I know the files I want are in these sectors. CNW says it found 75 files. But during reconstruct phase, it is building over 1000 files and counting totaling 465 GB (more that the 1% can even hold!)

Why does this happen?

NOTE: I use a repair tool to repair some of the files so maybe this is not a recovery issue. Regardless some of the files wouldnt repair fully so then again maybe it is. Thanks!
Joep
Official Product Rep

Re: Help with CNW mp4 recovery

Post by Joep »

If the file system is NTFS, then normally quality of recovered files should be good when using something like R-Studio or ReclaiMe. Fragmentation is not really an issue as runlists remain intact for deleted files.

CnW is useful for carving fragmented files when there are no other options left or the file system doesn't allow for recovery of fragmented files (so FAT, FAT32 exFAT).

And if you're so certain the files are in that 1% of the disk, I'd personally image that piece of disk space to an image file.
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
RolandJS
Lurker

Re: Help with CNW mp4 recovery

Post by RolandJS »

CNW "building over 1000 files..."
Data recovery software often finds oldest, older, old, past, present, versions of exe, zip, doc, xls, and so many other files; example: if you edited a set of files each several times, most if not all older and present files will be listed, sometimes in order of recoverability.
"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited