Seagate Rosewood Families, Headmaps and Preamps

Discuss Seagate hard drives, their issues and data recovery.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Seagate Rosewood Families, Headmaps and Preamps

Post by lcoughey »

Patient:
Model: ST1000LM035
PN: 1RK172-568
FW: SBM3
Family: Rosewood 8C
Heads: 2
DOM: 16JUN2016
SN: W93...
Preamp: 82

Donor 1:
Family: Rosewood A5
DOM: 11OCT2019
SN: ZDE
Preamp: 87

Drive detected and was able to save SA and start imaging in DE, until it hit a bad sector. Was unable to write to SA.

Donor 2:
Family: Rosewood A5
DOM: 29OCT2017
SN: ZDE
Preamp: C2

Drive detected as 0MB, thanks to the previous set of heads. Was able to fix the translator by writing to the drive and now mirroring again.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Hello

Does anyone of you know what Preamp has St2000lm007 with SN: WDZ and FW: LDM2? I've already tried heads with SBK2, WDZ and ZDZ and no efect.

Best regards
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

It seems now that the next challenge is to figure out how we can safely identify the head count in a drive when some models can vary between 2, 3 & 4 heads.
italyassistance
Lurker

Post by italyassistance »

If donor drive with patient PCB tries to spin up and send messages in terminal then make sense to swap heads, if doesn't try to spin up then heads are not compatible.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

italyassistance wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm If donor drive with patient PCB tries to spin up and send messages in terminal then make sense to swap heads, if doesn't try to spin up then heads are not compatible.
That sort of works, but tough to implement when you haven't even ordered in the donor.
Skyclad
Lurker

Post by Skyclad »

In the end it seems to me there is no rule in finding a donor capable of writing.

In one case I tried 3 donors WDZ, same P/N, same FW only the preamp was 82 instead of the patient's C2 (but we saw that C2 and 82 are interchangeable).

They read but did not write. In a nutshell you have to go by trial and error, so the more drives you have in stock the better. Basically if you have to order on the net (apart from Donor Drives) it's like going in blind.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Skyclad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm They read but did not write. In a nutshell you have to go by trial and error, so the more drives you have in stock the better. Basically if you have to order on the net (apart from Donor Drives) it's like going in blind.
I am finding this too. It is most infuriating to change the heads, read full SA, but not be able to fix any issues due to writing compatibility. I've even gone so far as to match the marking details on the heads, themselves, with varying levels of success. The odd thing is, I've found them more difficult to match over the past year than in years prior. Not sure if something changed or I am just getting a bunch of bad luck.
Skyclad
Lurker

Post by Skyclad »

lcoughey wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:03 pm
Skyclad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm They read but did not write. In a nutshell you have to go by trial and error, so the more drives you have in stock the better. Basically if you have to order on the net (apart from Donor Drives) it's like going in blind.
I am finding this too. It is most infuriating to change the heads, read full SA, but not be able to fix any issues due to writing compatibility. I've even gone so far as to match the marking details on the heads, themselves, with varying levels of success. The odd thing is, I've found them more difficult to match over the past year than in years prior. Not sure if something changed or I am just getting a bunch of bad luck.
I certainly don't have your experience of heads swap, of course, by force of circumstances I'm doing it with these nightmare drives. Anyway any info I will share here in your forum especially in the thread related to internal parts (HSA code..etc)
webclaw

Post by webclaw »

Source: WCC 0,1,2,3 .82
Replaced: ZDZ 0,1,2,3 .82

Read SA OK.
Cannot write SA.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

webclaw wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:08 pm Source: WCC 0,1,2,3 .82
Replaced: ZDZ 0,1,2,3 .82

Read SA OK.
Cannot write SA.
Thanks for shareing. I'm curious, are you able to also provide the markings on the head connector, too? (ie, TIAB1-D, AG-1, etc) Both sets of numbers would be even better.