ST2000LM007 Head Unstick

Discuss Seagate hard drives, their issues and data recovery.
thedarkmask

ST2000LM007 Head Unstick

Post by thedarkmask »

Hello everyone i have this ST2000LM007 Drive which clearly gives me signs of head sticktion with sounds and Low current Spinning error in terminal,
Can someone guide me how to do head unsticks with these drives as i dont have any head unstick tools for this drive.

Thanks in advanced
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: ST2000LM007 Head Unstick

Post by lcoughey »

As it sounds like this is a client drive you are referring to, I suggest you not use their drive to learn on. Instead, you should purchase a few drives of the same model and practice your techniques. In the meantime, you should consider outsourcing the project to an experienced lab partner who will have a better chance of getting your client's data in this case.
thedarkmask

Post by thedarkmask »

thanks for the kind advice first of all.. i have 3 extra drives which i have done head replacements few weeks back. this is the first time im dealing with a head stuck in LM007 head stuck issue. can you give me and lil advice what is the safest method to begin with ?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

thedarkmask wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 am thanks for the kind advice first of all.. i have 3 extra drives which i have done head replacements few weeks back. this is the first time im dealing with a head stuck in LM007 head stuck issue. can you give me and lil advice what is the safest method to begin with ?
You can slide the heads of one of your working drives onto the platters to replicate your scenario and then figure out how to get them back to the parking ramp without scratching the surface and/or ripping the sliders off.

You can also watch a video created by Amarbir of CDR showing the procedure - https://youtu.be/17XRilKm9FI