Seagate SRD00F1 2TB please help

Discuss Seagate hard drives, their issues and data recovery.
almix12

Seagate SRD00F1 2TB please help

Post by almix12 »

Hi all,
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to data recovery. This hard drive is quite new, but randomly stopped working. It mounts fine on my Macbook pro, and I can see most if not all files, but when I go to open one, or copy one, it freezes and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I tried ejecting it and unmounting it through disk utility, but it's just too frozen. It also crashes finder. I've tried using diskwarrior as it's worked before to rebuild the directory but it can't because of a disk malfunction. I'll attach a screenshot of the results. It mentions a "Preview" that I should back things up from, but I'm not entirely sure what that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm willing to take it apart if need be, I'm decently savvy when it comes to electronics.
I'm brand new to this forum so if I'm posting this in the wrong place, please let me know.
Many thanks!
Alex
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 2.41.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 2.41.26 PM.png (153.2 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Seagate SRD00F1 2TB please help

Post by lcoughey »

Is the data valuable to you? That is, if the drive quits completely, are you okay with losing it all?

These drives frequently have head, media and firmware damage which could cause your symptoms.
almix12

Post by almix12 »

I would say it's extremely valuable to me: a lot of ongoing audio projects are the main valuable files. I'd like to at least be able to access it and back it up if I can't repair the drive.
Thanks for your reply,
Alex
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

If it is valuable, you are probably best to have it looked at by a professional before it gets worse.

If you are to try anything at all, try to clone with ddrescue, then try to recover from the clone.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Our pricing is posted on our website at https://www.recoveryforce.com/pricing if you'd like to consider sending into us.