RECOVER PICTURES AND VIDEOS FROM a SD CARD

Got a data recovery situation and have a question? This is where to ask.
Dave_Das

RECOVER PICTURES AND VIDEOS FROM a SD CARD

Post by Dave_Das »

Hello everyone. I need to recover some deleted data from my memory card. Its a sandisk 64gb micro sd card which I use it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I accidentally deleted some very important pictures and videos which are really valuable to me. For example, it was in a folder named bro which was inside the hidden folder .dave in my files. I deleted the bro folder which had about some 20gb. of pictures and videos. This incident was in january. But since april I stopped using the mem.card. The mem.card is nearly full with just 2gb free space left. I have used various softwares such as recuva, easeus, wondershare data recovery and others through my PC, but none of them were successful. I managed to recover other data from the memory card, but not what I had deleted from the hidden folder .dave. I still have other data which are in that hidden folder, ofcourse as I didnt delete them. ANd I didnt change the .dave folder name either. Please help me out guys if you can. I will be really greatful :'( Thanking you in advance.
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: RECOVER PICTURES AND VIDEOS FROM a SD CARD

Post by Jared »

Once data is overwritten, it's gone forever. So if you've only got 2Gb of unallocated space, that's the maximum amount of data that can be recovered (and that doesn't even account for fragmentation).

During that time from January to April, all the data being created was overwriting the deleted files.
Dave_Das

Post by Dave_Das »

Thanks for replying Jared!

I have recovered data which was deleted even long before than those hidden files! Its just those files in that hidden folder that I am not able to recover.
I dont know how it actually works. Can it be that the softwares I used cannot read that hidden folder's data?
And could you advise me what else can I try? Are there any other software/applications which I could use? OR should I format the mem.card (sounds scary) and try to recover? Or should I seek professional help? And how much will that cost?
I am hesitant as the pictures and videos are personal....
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by Jared »

There is never a need to format any media to attempt recovery. That's just something idiots who have no clue started doing as their normal practice.

A hidden folder is no more difficult to recover than any other folder. "Hidden" is just a file system flag that tells windows to hide it. Data recovery software pays no attention to that.

The age of the data is irrelevant. It all comes down to which physical sectors were used up by new data. You may be getting back old files that were really small and the tiny hole they left wasn't ever recycled by the computer. However, a much larger folder of deleted data leaves a bigger hole that can be used by bigger files.

If you're not even finding them in the RAW recovery results by file type, they are just gone.
RolandJS
Lurker

Post by RolandJS »

Jared, in my experience, recovery from an SD card seems to be harder and often less successful than recovery from a conventional hard-drive. Has that been your experience as well? Reason for asking: while I use USB flash drives for "sneaker-netting" between two laptops, I use conventional HDDs for my routine backups and restores. And, I use two twin usb flash drives for all important sneaker-netting, if one usb fd goes berserk or I make a mistake -- the other usb fd comes to the rescue.
"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited
Markdc

Post by Markdc »

Hi,
I would like to add here that if it's been a long time since the data is lost then its quite possible that it might be overwritten by some other data.
it becomes really difficult if it's overwritten by other data to recover the lost data of the SD card.
AugustineAdams

Post by AugustineAdams »

Dave_Das wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 am Hello everyone. I need to recover some deleted data from my memory card. Its a sandisk 64gb micro sd card which I use it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I accidentally deleted some very important pictures and videos which are really valuable to me. For example, it was in a folder named bro which was inside the hidden folder .dave in my files. I deleted the bro folder which had about some 20gb. of pictures and videos. This incident was in january. But since april I stopped using the mem.card. The mem.card is nearly full with just 2gb free space left. I have used various softwares such as recuva, easeus, wondershare data recovery and others through my PC, but none of them were successful. I managed to recover photos from memory card, but not what I had deleted from the hidden folder .dave. I still have other data which are in that hidden folder, ofcourse as I didnt delete them. ANd I didnt change the .dave folder name either. Please help me out guys if you can. I will be really greatful :'( Thanking you in advance.
Ok, I have to say that you are wise. I hope your data is not overwritten so they will be recoverable. However, if you use a lot of data recovery tools and you don't find the lost data, then they are likely to be overwritten. This means that you have lost them forever.

Moderator note: Very sneaky slipping your link (now highlighted red without a link) into the quoted post. Congratulations! You landed FoneCope into our list of spammers.