Need help recovering data from neighbors Security Camera Hardrive...its complicated

A place to post photos of data recovery disasters and to discuss unusual data recovery cases.
javila12

Need help recovering data from neighbors Security Camera Hardrive...its complicated

Post by javila12 »

Alright this is kinda a lot to ask but I'm not sure what else to do. Let me start by telling everyone the story. My car was involved in a hit-n-run on the street. The person or tesla hit my car totaling it and drove off. Now lucky for me, my car was parked in front of my neighbors house which has cameras. Awesome right!? Well I asked him if he could check out the footage and let me know what he finds. After attempting to check the footage, he said to me that the hard drive was "broken" and was not reading the files. He replaced the hard drive and gave me the "broken" one. I plugged her up to my computer and the name of the SSD is Recovery Image with 1.3 gb free of 11.2 so I think great there is some solid used up storage and some of it must be a video recording. Now, I buy EaseUS Data Recovery and get all the files extracted which is great and now have no idea what to do with them. My computer (windows 10) cant open any of the files and it says check the app store. I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyone out there who knows what the next few steps could be?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you have!
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: Need help recovering data from neighbors Security Camera Hardrive...its complicated

Post by Jared »

DVRs are pretty much all using proprietary methods of data storage. They won't even contain any standard file system in most cases. You'd need software that's specifically designed for recovering DVRs, but that's going to cost you thousands of dollars and may not even work (most commercial software only supports about half of the DVRs out there). Here's one you might try out: https://dmeforensics.com/dvr-examiner/

But, you're not going to be happy when you hear the price. A better option might be to pay a few hundred dollars to have the data recovered by a company who specializes in data recovery and already owns the appropriate software and can probably handle the case even if it's not a standard one supported by commercial software.

I see you're on Recovery Force's forum so I assume you're up there in Canada. Why not have Recovery Force quote you for recovery. It'll probably cost less than the software.
RolandJS
Lurker

Re: Need help recovering data from neighbors Security Camera Hardrive...its complicated

Post by RolandJS »

Jared, out of curiosity I visited that DVR recovery website, couldn't a hint of how much - what did they quote you when you sent a test quote request?
"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited