Can i get back damaged files?

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Re: Can i get back damaged files?

Post by Joep »

Sent.

Thank you, for helping me trouble shoot this!
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Update on this:

So, a bugfixed version was sent which now lets program continue where it first crashed This was a real bug. BTW, version which includes this bugfix and other improvements (example: more MP4 'dialects' from different cameras supported, Canon EOS 600D to name one) is now available from website. Current version is 1.95.

So with regards to this recovery we now get into the realm possible vs impossible. JPEG Recovery LAB was written with recovery from memory cards in mind and is in this case being tried on a 465 GB hard disk. More space means more work for JPEG Recovery LAB, more possible combinations to try and test. More files and more potentially fragmented files. And with that the demand for more memory.

Status: still unsolved, lack of memory may be what's stopping us from recovering more files. I'll update if I have more to share.
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Yes this is definitely a special case. But the app itself is really good, better than any data recovery software Ive seen (Ive seen many in my quest to get these files lol). Gives you a full preview of the file before copying it, very nice graphical representation of your disk, and very intuitive to use.

I also want to add the great customer service I received from joep, even though what I am doing is not JPEG Recovery LAB's main purpose, I received undivided attention and patience in solving my problem and getting back my files. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! :)
AlbertJH

Post by AlbertJH »

Dear Sajako,
I suggest you need to recover your damaged or corrupt .mov and .mp4 video files with the help of video repair software. It's definitely repair your video files.
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

AlbertJH wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 am Dear Sajako,
I suggest you need to recover your damaged or corrupt .mov and .mp4 video files with the help of video repair software. It's definitely repair your video files.
Hi Albert, can you please suggest one for Windows?
So I recover the video using a normal data recovery, and then put them into the video recovery software?
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Joep wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am Update on this:

So, a bugfixed version was sent which now lets program continue where it first crashed This was a real bug. BTW, version which includes this bugfix and other improvements (example: more MP4 'dialects' from different cameras supported, Canon EOS 600D to name one) is now available from website. Current version is 1.95.

So with regards to this recovery we now get into the realm possible vs impossible. JPEG Recovery LAB was written with recovery from memory cards in mind and is in this case being tried on a 465 GB hard disk. More space means more work for JPEG Recovery LAB, more possible combinations to try and test. More files and more potentially fragmented files. And with that the demand for more memory.

Status: still unsolved, lack of memory may be what's stopping us from recovering more files. I'll update if I have more to share.

Hey joep,

Hope you remember me. We couldnt find a solution to my fragmented video files problem. You said if I had more RAM, id have better chances. I recently upgraded and now have 32GB of RAM, so I was wondering if you wouldnt mind giving it another shot. Its a new machine so not sure the old activation key would work. Would be great if I can get another temporary key. Let me know! Thanks again.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Yes I do! I suggest you download the latest version and see if the key still works (I tend to generate year long keys). If not, let me know.
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Joep wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm Yes I do! I suggest you download the latest version and see if the key still works (I tend to generate year long keys). If not, let me know.
Hey, Im in! Before I get started, any specific settings I should set? I increased the Ram usage, its got max at 15. Is there a way to make it use more?
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Hello,

Well that's just RAM for caching, I'd let that for JPEG Recovery LAB to auto manage. It's just useful for slower devices like memory cards, by caching large parts in memory + faster storage devices some speed gain is possible.

Go with defaults is what I'd suggest right now. All settings should be default anyway except file types selected. So make sure to tick all of them. May seems counter productive, but knowing where a ZIP or JPEG file is means we don't have to look for MP4 there. So less noise basically when figuring out MP4.

With current version I see far less crashes in telemetry so I have good hope.

Kind regards,
Joep
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Hey joep,

Gave it two tries, both times froze at 43% while scanning media. Im on V. 3.15, is that correct?