How to fix recovered but broken image and video files?

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
Danielle219

How to fix recovered but broken image and video files?

Post by Danielle219 »

I did a data recovery but the images and videos are not working anymore and the file size on disk is showing as it was before deleting. What i mean is the video file was 180 MB before deletion and after recovery as well but not playing anymore.
So, can anyone tell me how to make it work again using any software or something please?

Hard Disk is Hitachi 500 GB SATA.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: How to fix recovered but broken image and video files?

Post by lcoughey »

What was the original problem why you needed to recover your files?
Can you please describe the full process you followed?
Did you get a full clone of the drive?
Did you copy the data you recovered to a completely separate drive?
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by Jared »

It could be a shift in the data location. This especially is common when recovering from HFS+ (Macintosh) partitions. What OS was the computer, and what software are you using?
Danielle219

Post by Danielle219 »

Jared wrote:It could be a shift in the data location. This especially is common when recovering from HFS+ (Macintosh) partitions. What OS was the computer, and what software are you using?
Hello sir, thanks for replying. OS was "Windows 7" and software was "ParetoLogic Data Recovery Pro". With due respect, i don't want to know what has happened to the data or how they got corrupt. I just want to know, is there a way to fix them so that i can view them again?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

In order to provide a solution, it is important to know the problem and its cause.
Danielle219

Post by Danielle219 »

Hello Sir, i am sorry if i sounded a little rude and restless. Thanks for showing interest in understanding my problem.
I needed to recover my file because it was important and got deleted accidentally.
I used a Recovery Software called "ParetoLogic Data Recovery Pro" after 4 days of deletion. It scanned my hard disk for deleted files and let me recover the selected ones. Most of the files were broken i.e the view was not possible but name and size was there.
I don't know what do u mean by getting full clone of the drive, so certainly that makes it clear i didn't.
No, i did not copy the data of my recovered file in a separate drive. I recovered them in the same drive.

If u need any more information relating this topic let me know please. Thank u.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Based on what I am understanding you to be saying, you were attempting to recover files there were deleted from your hard drive and copy the recovered files directly to that same drive. If this is the case, you overwrote your files as you were attempting to restore them. There is no way to undo the damage, making recovery of those files impossible.

I wish I could say that this is the first time I've encountered a user who has done this, but we see the damage caused by the mistakes you made almost every day by end users and seasoned technicians.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

This video may be helpful for those who have a mobile phone that went for a swim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDpALK ... e=youtu.be