SpinRite

A place to discuss various hard drive diagnostic tools and their results.
fzabkar
Lurker

Re: SpinRite

Post by fzabkar »

Joep wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:12 amWhat happened next:

1. My comment is deleted
2. I am on post-approval. Everything I comment or post has to be vetted by a moderator.
The trouble is that Gibson can always say that decisions like this are made by the moderators, not him.

I've come to the realisation that SpinRite is a cult. Gibson is the Messiah, and Dynastat is the Word. He is surrounded by devoted Disciples and True Believers. You can't appeal to these brainwashed fools using logic because their Faith trumps any argument you put before them. It doesn't matter that the logic comes from the HDD manufacturers themselves because the Messiah is omniscient, omnipotent and infallible.

I wish just one SpinRite victim would take Gibson to the cleaners. Justice needs to be done.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

fzabkar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:53 am
Joep wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:12 amWhat happened next:

1. My comment is deleted
2. I am on post-approval. Everything I comment or post has to be vetted by a moderator.
The trouble is that Gibson can always say that decisions like this are made by the moderators, not him.
Yeah, thing is that I posted right below his reply and saw he was online. Too bad I didn't screen-capture that ..
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

This is why I almost hate SpinRite and the way he markets it ..

https://forums.grc.com/threads/a-testim ... r-dm.1516/

So ..

* PC blue screens on boot ..
* Runs SpinRite which finds no errors
* PC boots, all hail SpinRite ..

"bearing the ambiguous 0x000000e error code" .. "A couple of hours later SpinRite finished and my sister texted me a photo of the SpinRite screen, which showed no errors" .. "Naturally, the machine booted straight into Windows 10 as though nothing had happened. I don't know what magic this is you have brought into the world but I'm sure glad it's here" ..

Unbelievable. It's like marketing for homeopathic "drugs": We know it did NOTHING but it cured me none-the-less.
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

fzabkar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:53 am I've come to the realisation that SpinRite is a cult. Gibson is the Messiah, and Dynastat is the Word. He is surrounded by devoted Disciples and True Believers. You can't appeal to these brainwashed fools using logic because their Faith trumps any argument you put before them. It doesn't matter that the logic comes from the HDD manufacturers themselves because the Messiah is omniscient, omnipotent and infallible.
Talking about cults. I joined a community, which turned out to be a cult, I sent them an email calling them a cult and they booted me out without a care about me. I bet the cult of GRC would probably do the same.

Steve doesn't care about data recovery, he clearly only cares about his creations.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Reading those forums and his newsgroups make me LOL the entire time.

I laugh hard each time (many) he says "SpinRite 7 will ..". How many years did he spend on 6.1? Way too many. It has been on the edge of release for months and each time something pops up that pushes release further back. And, you could argue part of the "unforseens" are result of poor design, bad choices.

And he gets distracted so easily by all sorts of trivial shit. Now he's designing some basic file system resize tool so he can resize FAT32 file system after the SR disk image gets restored to some drive that's not the size of his disk image. Only way for Linux users to "install" SR is restore a disk image. And so for a handful of people release of SR6.1 is pushed back. A sane person, IMO would release the Windows version and schedule a Linux solution later.

And now while he hasn't even tackled this, a new problem arises, SR detects bad data under circumstances and now in one instance this correlates with bad memory (confirmed by memtest). So, he'll be adding a memtest to SR next.

BTW, I already suggested earlier, when the first reports of this corruption popped up it was unlikely the disk was at fault. Problem is, write to drive > something else is read back without the drive returning an error. I explained that this clearly shows the drive got corrupt data in the first place, or data is corrupted after it was read from the drive. No one listened. Bad RAM was an obvious candidate.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Why does it not surprise me that he'd suggest the freezer?

https://forums.grc.com/threads/hdd-not- ... eath.1542/
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

Well that Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB works with the new donor PCB fitted. But SR doesn't get very far. LOL.
I could try drive on the RapidSpar to see if it does much better. Probably will clone whole drive with great ease.
Attachments
00000001.png
00000001.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 416 times
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

lcoughey wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:32 pm Why does it not surprise me that he'd suggest the freezer?
I don't know why he thinks a fridge or a freezer and a zip-lock bag fixes failed heads. Does he not know how the pro's do it?
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

fzabkar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:53 am I wish just one SpinRite victim would take Gibson to the cleaners. Justice needs to be done.
How could you prove it in court without a good clone/copy of the drive's data to show that SR messed up?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

I finally downloaded my updated copy of 6.1. I can't wait to get it setup on a USB boot drive and end the need for my having to change heads and clone drives ever again. Oh wait! I live in the real world.