Media Recovery

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
mhdslmn

Media Recovery

Post by mhdslmn »

Hello Guys

I have accidentally in September 2011 deleted some photos and images with some media files from my laptop.

Since then i was trying to get it back but it seemed impossible.

Unfortunately i have formatted my laptop since that date maybe like 7 or 8 time and changed windows and drive partition.

The problem is that i still need those media and want them.

Is there a way to recover them or no?

If yes Is there a way to limit recovery search in the period they have existed on my laptop?

Please i need any help and advice i can get.
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: Media Recovery

Post by Jared »

Seems to me you've already done everything possible to sabotage recovery. If you lost data, the first thing to do is STOP USING THE DRIVE!!!

Anything and everything you've done that was modifying data on the drive was shrinking your chance of recovery.

To answer your question about targeting data from just a certain time period, no there is no way to do this. Especially given that you've overwritten the file tables numerous times now. Your only slight hope at this point would be to try a RAW recovery based on the file types you're looking for. You describe it as "media" however you'll need to know more specifically what you're looking for. For example, is it Microsoft Word Documents, PDF files, WMV Videos, etc.
mhdslmn

Post by mhdslmn »

Thanks for your answer.

I had to format my laptop because i had some virus attack.

The media are only photos and some media player records.

Well if there is nothing to do then it is just gone.

Anyway thanks.

It is worth trying.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

It might be worth a full scan with a program like R-Studio and see what kind of result you get in the Extra Found Files. Just be sure to run the data recovery programs on another computer, scanning the drive connected as a slave or USB and copying the recovered files to another storage location.