Tech Support Forums

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Tech Support Forums

Post by lcoughey »

A word of warning, just because it is a tech support forum doesn't mean that they have any clue what they are talking about when it comes to data recovery. I've attempted to engage and provide free advice and support on many online forums, but get banned when my expert advice contradicts that given by the forum moderators.

It scares me to think that these same people are not only giving end users advice on how to permanently destroy any chance of recovering their files, they are likely doing the same to their own client's files.
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: Tech Support Forums

Post by Jared »

Amen, brother. Here's a typical discussion I've had a dozen times on most tech forums:

OP: "My hard drive has bad sectors and is disconnecting, I need my files"
#1 Idiot Spammer: "Try Tenorshare, it can recover your iPhone 100% guaranteed" (Reality: no it won't help)
#2 Idiot WD Rep: "Have you tried running chkdisk on it" (Reality: worst thing to try)
#3 Idiot Moderator: "20 years ago I used SpinRite, and it fixed my drive completely" (Reality: this is an even worse thing to do)
#4 Idiot Spammer: "I used Tenorshare as "Idiot Spammer #1" mentioned and got back all my lost data"
#5 Actual Professional: "Please don't listen to any of this bad advice, these guys don't have a clue" (BANNED! for having a clue and disagreeing with mod)