Water-Damaged WD MyBook Studio Edition II Quad Interface 6TB

Discuss Western Digital hard drives, their issues and data recovery.
SennaSempre

Re: Water-Damaged WD MyBook Studio Edition II Quad Interface 6TB

Post by SennaSempre »

fzabkar wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:01 pmJust buy two USB-SATA adaptors and allow DMDE to assemble a virtual RAID. DMDE then acts as a software RAID controller. Once you get to this point, use DMDE to recover the files from the virtual RAID to another drive.
DMDE looks pretty good, the more I read up on it the more I like their software. EaseUS had gotten some bad reviews and I found another - https://www.freeraidrecovery.com/ but DMDE looks to be a safe approach. I just bought another WD enclosure that I was going to try but maybe not now.
SennaSempre

Post by SennaSempre »

ok so I have gotten both drives to spin up through the 12 volt adapter, and they say that its a Remote Disc in the Devices Index in the left side column of Finder Window on my OSX.

They don't show any folders, files or any data numbers in its own root folder. Nor does it show up in Disk Utility either. And they don't make any strange sounds. I can't eject them so I have to shut down the computer to dismount them.

I hope this is atleast a good sign going forward in your opinion? And based on what I just wrote what do you think my next step would be? Go right to Terminal or DMDE? Do I perform these actions one-at-a-time per disc or have them both mounted at the same time while in an extraction program? Which approach is better to stitch them up? individually or simultaneously, can that be done?
SennaSempre

Post by SennaSempre »

@fzabkar you are right about DMDE you said it many times in other forums to, its very good.

I have been watching YouTube videos comparing the DD Command and DMDE since its a good way to get a visual on their completed steps before I start and come to those steps.

Both approaches seem quite easy to do even for a novice like myself but the DMDE GUI does make things more simplified and explanatory. It's actually quite a powerful program.

Right now I'm testing out these 2 approaches using smaller, mostly empty other SSD's before I start my real recovery. I'm using 2 SSD 480 GB for this bench test.

I also have re-purchased the exact same model WD MyBook Studio II but with 4 TB in size (mine is 6 TB) and that is still in RAID 0 by default. (Could be used for PCB swap and BIOS ROM soldering swap if I need to)

Testing SSD source drive holds only an OSX op system at 18 GB and no other personal files. SSD destination drive is empty, and the write speed is 1% per minute so it's going to take 1 hr and 30 min to complete.

When creating a disk image or cloning it, both DD Command and DMDE wants to use the whole destination disk space. (Side Note: my recovery 6 TB RAID 0 drives have 3 to 4 TB of used data on them)

My question is: the full 3 TB Disk 1 recovery drive will be cloned to the new 4 TB Raid 0 enclosure. Then how will I be able to clone the 2nd 3 TB Disk 2 recovery drive without overwriting the first 3 TB Disk 1 recovery drive as the disk image/clone method wants to use the whole destination disk?

And if I split the new WD MyBook into 2 partitions (to not overwrite the 2nd disk image over the 1st one) then how would I be able to link up those 2 partitions in RAID 0 if it's no longer 1 drive and now 2 separate drives?

Update: I just completed a test run on the 2 SSD 500 GB's and it took 2 full hours to copy sectors to the destination drive which shows nothing copied, no change in disk info or in disk utility, how can that be?