SpinRite

A place to discuss various hard drive diagnostic tools and their results.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Re: SpinRite

Post by Joep »

BTW, I have pointed out several times to Peter Blaise why I do not consider SR a data recovery tool (writing to patient) and he's typically someone who keeps moving goalposts. So for example, he pressed me once to prove SR killed drives while doing 2000 reads per bad sectors, I produced a list of occasions and then he'd for example ask if I can prove the drive would not have died without SR scanning it. He's a BS artist.
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

lcoughey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:36 pm While not dealing with the technical side of things, I couldn't help but jump in. Let's see if my first post will be my last.
Brilliant post. Just keep in mid that I have made this point probably 10 times already in GRC newsgroups. It's good they see someone else make same point. It's nice you ask "how much data was recovered", hahaha I like that!
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

CrazyTeeka wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 pm That's a good post on how data recovery should be done. Nice one!
Thanks. I'm sure that they can try to respond with all sorts of mumbo-jumbo, but I can only hope that those who are intelligent and reading my comment will have their eyes opened.

I remember getting a case in where the tech ran Spinrite for days never getting past 1%. It took me a couple of hours to clone the drive and recover all the data.

I've also had cases where I get the drive in with rings etched on the platter and the user saying that the drive was booting before they ran Spinrite, but they were getting some read errors and were made to think it was the safe thing to do.
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

Joep wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:41 pm
CrazyTeeka wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:35 pm I'll have more time after the weekend. Going to see friends over the weekend.
You got friends?

:o
Yes. 8-)
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

Joep wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:47 pm BTW, I have pointed out several times to Peter Blaise why I do not consider SR a data recovery tool (writing to patient) and he's typically someone who keeps moving goalposts. So for example, he pressed me once to prove SR killed drives while doing 2000 reads per bad sectors, I produced a list of occasions and then he'd for example ask if I can prove the drive would not have died without SR scanning it. He's a BS artist.
Agreed. Non of what he asks for or suggests makes any sense. The kind of testing I do would probably go right over his head.
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

lcoughey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:57 pm
CrazyTeeka wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 pm That's a good post on how data recovery should be done. Nice one!
Thanks. I'm sure that they can try to respond with all sorts of mumbo-jumbo, but I can only hope that those who are intelligent and reading my comment will have their eyes opened.

I remember getting a case in where the tech ran Spinrite for days never getting past 1%. It took me a couple of hours to clone the drive and recover all the data.

I've also had cases where I get the drive in with rings etched on the platter and the user saying that the drive was booting before they ran Spinrite, but they were getting some read errors and were made to think it was the safe thing to do.
We clone to another drive for a reason, so I just cannot understand the mind set of a developer that thinks doing Data Recovery by writing back to the same drive is acceptable. It makes zero sense and actually leads to the developer losing face and respect.

On the topic of how much data was recovered on drives that fail at 98% because SR killed the drive? ZERO :lol: :lol: :lol:

LEVEL 2 DYNASTAT 0 - Data Destruction Mode - When SR finds a bad sector it does everything it can to make it vanish, whatever data was there is gone for good.

LEVEL 1 - Useful surface scan.
LEVEL 2 - Dangerous Data Recovery - Data written back to Same Drive.
LEVEL 3 - Data Refresher + Dangerous Data Recovery.
LEVEL 4 - Data Refresher with Verify + Dangerous Data Recovery.
LEVEL 5 - Pointless. If you can Write and Read data, that's all that matters.

FORCEBIOS - God Tier Data Destruction Mode - SR disables all native drivers and enters Mad Max mode. Whatever happens, your drive is toast.

CLONETO - Imaginary Drive Imager - I could become President of the United States before this ever happened.
CrazyTeeka
Lurker

Post by CrazyTeeka »

Well it's the weekend. Taking my rapid spar with me to show a friend. It's going to be fun.
fzabkar
Lurker

Post by fzabkar »

To me, the GRC forum is a case of a false messiah preaching to blind, uncritical, zealous devotees. No amount of logic from the outside world will sway them.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

fzabkar wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:12 pm To me, the GRC forum is a case of a false messiah preaching to blind, uncritical, zealous devotees. No amount of logic from the outside world will sway them.
I believe you are correct. It is almost like a cult that convinces people that someone false is true and won't even recognize any evidence to the contrary.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

fzabkar wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:12 pm To me, the GRC forum is a case of a false messiah preaching to blind, uncritical, zealous devotees. No amount of logic from the outside world will sway them.
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is.