Long File Paths - Still

lcoughey
Site Admin

Long File Paths - Still

Post by lcoughey »

After years of complaing to MRT about their insisting on added a bunch of uncessary details to the file path when saving client's data out to the destination drive, it still doesn't work. When you select various files and folders within the file tree to save out, you want the same file and folder paths to used for the saved data.
MRT-Long-File- Path-2.jpg
MRT-Long-File- Path-2.jpg (185 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Option 1 - select "File path include parent path when saving current item"

When you choose this, it adds folders to describing the drive partitioning and the partition from which the data is being saved to the file path for the data being saved.
MRT-Long-File- Path-1.jpg
MRT-Long-File- Path-1.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
When it causes files in sub folders to exceed the file path limits, a new folder in the root of the save path is created and the files are dumped there, without folder paths and causing serious issues when there are file duplicates and no way of knowing where those files are supposed to have been saved. Basically, it is absolutely idiotic, to say the least.

Option 2 - unselect "File path include parent path when saving current item"

When this is unelected, it doesn't keep the folder paths, rather it just saves the selected folders in the same spot, loosing their folder paths.
MRT-Long-File- Path-3.jpg
MRT-Long-File- Path-3.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Option 3 - unselect "File path include parent path when saving current item" and only select folders in from root

As a work around, I can't select specific files and folders within the Users folder, rather I have to select the entire Users folder, temp files, cookies and all. This is a nuissance because we may not have bother imaging the temp files and cookies and it can add a lot of time and space to save out the extra data that our client doesn't need or want.

I'm at a loss why MRT hasn't yet resolved this. I can't imagine that it is a lack of programming skills, which leads me to think that they just don't care. I'm overdue to update my report of Issues & Feature Requests that I posted on this forum in 2018.

While there are many good things happening within MRT updates, they really need to stake some time and fix the bugs that have been reported for years.
fzabkar
Lurker

Re: Long File Paths - Still

Post by fzabkar »

Could this be the solution to the "long path" problem?

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Long File Paths - Still

Post by lcoughey »

I suppose it could be a work around on my end, but it would make more sense for them to fix MRT. And, what happens when a customer gets a drive with their files in the extended paths without having the registry fix on their end?