HTS545050A7E680-Heads swap-loss of readiness

Discuss Hitachi hard drives, their issues and data recovery.
Skyclad
Lurker

HTS545050A7E680-Heads swap-loss of readiness

Post by Skyclad »

Hi everyone,
as subject the patient make clicking after power ON.

The dealer said he tried to clone it but he was able to get few data. So I think the HSA has stressed itself out to the point of damaging itself and clicking. After knowing this, I opened it and checked the heads. The sliders did not show any contamination.

So I did the transplant with my donor, I would say identical apart serial, the date (almost a year of difference) and the country unfortunately.

After the transplant the drive no longer clicking and after loading the modules, refresh ID and loading the translator in memory I could read the sectors inside the utility. However, the MBR was not read.

Created task in DE but unfortunately I could not completely read the MFT as the drive had a loss of readiness which required a power OFF and ON to read some sectors especially from head 0 but also from 1. In the end I was able to read most of the sectors but I noticed that many were zero and I think they were due to the translator not loaded into memory in DE, although in "Active Utility Actions" I had set the necessary parameters.

Now I wonder if this problem of loss of readiness to require power OFF-ON was due to degraded surfaces or donor incompatibility.

Namely, with these drives, an incompatible donor can have this behavior?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: HTS545050A7E680-Heads swap-loss of readiness

Post by lcoughey »

It could be that the translator is too severely damaged. Did you try to fix any of the modules?
Skyclad
Lurker

Re: HTS545050A7E680-Heads swap-loss of readiness

Post by Skyclad »

lcoughey wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:41 pm It could be that the translator is too severely damaged. Did you try to fix any of the modules?
The translator seemed ok to me, but I will try to verify it.
I got a good result in RAW format, a little less with the structure.