PCB BIOS and FLASH swap

Got a data recovery situation and have a question? This is where to ask.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: PCB BIOS and FLASH swap

Post by lcoughey »

Round Rocks wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:11 pm I don't know - he says that this is used to replace the old method with WD passports, where he had to cut up a SATA connector and wire it to the PCB to bypass the USB connector. I thought that's what an adaptor is. Here's the link that will direct you to the exact time in the video where he says this: https://youtu.be/aIX9CjmrhI0?t=219
Doesn't matter what the video says. ACE does not produce such an adapter. Whether you wire a SATA port to the USB board or you move the ROM to a compatible SATA board, you will have the exact same issue of dealing with encrypted data.

I forgot to mention that it is more than just moving the ROM to a SATA board. You need to modify the ROM in a way that will stop the drive from reading the SA when powered on so that you can manipulate the drive to access the SA, backup and fix the SA.

I saw somewhere talking about you buying MRT to do the job. That seems rather silly, when most professionals would recover the data less than the amount you would spend doing it on your own.