HDDSuperClone Imaging by File

A place to discuss disk imaging and cloning software and hardware.
lcoughey
Site Admin

HDDSuperClone Imaging by File

Post by lcoughey »

After watching this video of how one can use DMDE to create a map of sectors for targeted files to be imported into HDDSuperClone for linear imaging, I admit that while I like the idea of the ability to be added, it is quite a complicated process and not one that I'd want to do every day.

It should be noted that the features of this video requires a paid pro license of hddsuperclone ($200 USD) plus a paid pro license of DMDE ($95 USD).

Perhaps, in time, the developers of these two applications will move towards a more seamless integration of the two in order to simplify the process.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Re: HDDSuperClone Imaging by File

Post by Joep »

Yeah, watched the videos too.IMO HDDSuperClone is pretty hard to use, but so is DMDE. I'm sure it's something one could get used to after some learning curve but it isn't very encouraging and inviting, watching this for the first time.
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
maximus
Lurker

Post by maximus »

There is more than one way to look at this. I think you also already have some other expensive tool(s) that are easy to work with, so you think this other option to be too complicated to be worth the effort. Others that don’t have those expensive tools (and can’t afford or justify them for what use they need) are more than happy for a much less expensive alternative, even if there is a learning curve.

As for any improvements of HDDSuperClone and DMDE working together to make it easier, probably not. Both tools each only have one author, and while both authors would like their software to be better in many ways, the time and effort to do such things is overwhelming, and just not feasible. The fact that they can be used together in a way that rivals the expensive hardware tools is an accomplishment already.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

@Maximus,

Sure and what I wrote wasn't even meant as criticism. They more a observations.

Observation 1: I have explained in other forums and places too that when it comes to file recovery software DMDE is, I think at the more difficult to use side of the 'user friendliness spectrum' where something like ReclaiMe (end user versions) are at the other far end. However that means DMDE scores better at the 'configurability' spectrum than ReclaiMe. There's an upside and a downside to things.

Observation 2: HDDSuperClone has it's fair share of configuration options.

So it's not a miracle with the two tools yo combined you get a highly configurable set of tools, hence a learning curve will be involved. I'm sure that once you get the hang of it, it's an awesome combo.

I currently don't have the hardware to experiment with it hands on. I am sure if you can fiddle with it, it's a lot easier to learn.

Of course what Luke says is still true. IF you'd cooperate to make this more intuitive then I am sure both DMDE and HDDSuperclone could greatly benefit from that.
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service