Spark vs. Rapidspar

Discuss RapidSpar Imager - http://www.rapidpar.com/
maddin

Spark vs. Rapidspar

Post by maddin »

I search a 2nd and mobile device mostly for imaging. If the device can fix some firmware-issues even better.

I like on the Spark very much, that it images to the PC and create a file on my internal RAID-Array so the results of some recovery are safer then on only one drive. It's also better to archive images for a while in case there where some files missing or corrupted in the recovery or the new drive ge damaged during shipping...

So I have the following questions:

1) Do I have with RapidSpar the possibility to Image the patient-drive directly to the internal drive of my PC?
2) And if yes, do I need to buy for that the data acquisition addon?
3) Is the USB-Addon "just" a USB stabilizer (looks like it is)? 
4) If I have the USB addon could I also use that USB stabilizer later on also standalone with another Tool like my MRT Express?
5) Do you know the Spark (indian cut-down version of the RapidSpar)?
6) Could I use an USB Stabilizer / Guardonix (if I buy it seperatly) with Spark?
7) Does the Spark have access to the full set of Rapid-Nebula fixes or only a limited subset?
8) How "good" is the firmware-repair via cloud - how many percent of the firmware-cases can be solved by Rapid-Nebula? 5%? 10%? 20%?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Spark vs. Rapidspar

Post by lcoughey »

Having never seen a Spark here in Canada, I have no way of comparing the two systems. Someone from the DeepSpar team would be best to answer your questions.
maddin

Post by maddin »

I was talking with them - the Spark can't be selled outside of India and Brazil but there resellers offer me the device inclusive shipping. :?

I will need the data aquisition addon to be able to image to the PC.

The USB-Addon is limited and can't be used with other tools - so i have to buy a USB stabilizer. Guradonix is blocking vendor speciffic commands - also not a good option.

So as the estimated costs "explode" stay just the last question
How "good" is the firmware-repair via cloud - how many percent of the firmware-cases can be solved by Rapid-Nebula? 10%? 20%?
on which it depends if that tool make sence for me.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

It should be noted that neither of these tools are meant to be used as an alternative to professional data recovery tools like DeepSpar Disk Imager and PC3000. Rather, they are meant for computer technicians who are looking to handle more in-house recoveries while still sending out the complex cases to a professional lab.
maddin

Post by maddin »

It should be noted that neither of these tools are meant to be used as an alternative to professional data recovery tools like DeepSpar Disk Imager and PC3000.
... I know.
Rather, they are meant for computer technicians who are looking to handle more in-house recoveries while still sending out the complex cases to a professional lab.
... that's kind of that what I want to do - I want to use that tool for some easier cases and as a quick & dirty diagnostic station. So I can lower the rate of easy cases a bit and get some more free time on the MRT.

I handle imaging-cases and PCB-swaps by myself. Now I also start to do head-swaps and unstuckig heads. So as I outsource less and less cases and change my business basically to DR only I see I need a 2nd imager.

I could go for an DDI but till now I could handle each job with MRT-DE without problems so yes, DDI is a great imager but just that. As I have an MRT which allow me to tweak some settings if needed I think DDI is the best option.

A 2nd MRT has the downside that I have 2x the same tool. I know that different Tools can handle different cases better or worster I would think another tool is better. PC-3000 is the best money can buy but to expensive for me right now - I would buy one but later. If I would have right now 8k i would rather go with Rusolut + bigger laminar flow bench + another tool ;)

An Option would be DFL PCI-e 4x but I am not sure if that opens up more possibilities for me - it's basically another MRT.

So I found the following Options best for me:

1) RapidSpar + USB-AddOn
... that would open up cheap handeling of easy tasks + fast initial diagnosing for drives. It would also allow me to handle some USB-drives without USB -> SATA modification and maybe even a few more SSD drives. It would also allow me to do better onsite-DR then with just a pendrive with Linux.

2) HRT DRE + USB Stabilizer
... that would be a tool to handle imaging (i know it's not useful for firmware-repair anymore) in case it can handle at least actual drives for imaging. That would be a Option for much less then 1000 USD to get another workstation running. So I could also afford an USB Stabilizer and use it together with MRT or dd_rescue and Cygwin.

I continue to build my lab as I can and actually I see that a 2nd workstation would come handy especially when my MRT PC is imaging one case and r-Studio or UFS are scanning another case on the 2nd RAID-Array.I just see one PC for all recovery-tasks is sometimes not enough...