OS

Discussions about SysDev's UFS Explorer and R-Explorer
https://www.ufsexplorer.com/ (professional data recovery software)
https://www.r-explorer.com/ (more simple version of UFS Explorer)
kern
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

OS

Post by kern »

Seasons Greetings to all :)

posting under sysdev as it's directly related to UFS but (Luke/Iurii) if it's too broad a spectrum, feel free to prod me or prune.

looking to add/move over to UFS in the near future and wondering if anyone prefers to install to Linux, or if there is any direct operational advantage to keeping all DR kit on Win OS?

Is anyone here using (tools on) Linux solely or at least regularly, for DR?

My stumbling block for making a complete move (rightly or wrongly) is PC-3000.

thanks
K
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: OS

Post by lcoughey »

This sub is fine. As for OS, I suspect that most of us would like to completely move over to Linux, but that is a lot easier said than done. I have several systems with Windows installed (PC3K Express, PC3K UDMA-E, PC3K-Flash, MRT & file system recovery), a couple of mac books for Mac OS and a few Linux workstations for logical and raid recoveries.

The nice the about UFS Explorer, the program features and functions are the same throughout all three platforms.
kern
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by kern »

Thanks Luke, nice to hear UFS is the same across the board.

I'm getting tired of Windows update/upgrades resetting things that i have unset.
Just upgraded (why is W10 to W10 an upgrade and no longer an update) and noticed a rash of my privacy settings have been changed so MS can monitor.

Wondering if this is a concern for Forensics guys as confidentiality and non-net-connected are sometimes pre-requisites.

On the end of a years-long line of MS 'trying to nanny the user' tricks and, as you imply, more than a few are fed up of them.

my setup is a lot more modest than your own, lol, but it's the same sort of theme.
I'm a hobbyist by comparison.

K
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

I guess, at the end of the day, we just need to work with what is best for getting the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Now that UFS offers a file listing ability, we need not worry about the lack of support for SNAP2HTML within Linux too.
Iurii
Official Product Rep

Post by Iurii »

In some data recovery cases better to use incompatible OS with file system of the storage you are working with (to prevent data modification).
If you use some type of hardware that allow works in read only mode - it is not problem.
We found that windows server 2016 on server MB with RAM 64+GB is good for data recovery tasks:)
Yes, windows 10 have a lot of problems (I prefered use Windows 7 and Windows 8.1).