SD Card STRANGE Partition (?) issue! Help!

gcgarner

SD Card STRANGE Partition (?) issue! Help!

Post by gcgarner »

New member here with a very strange scenario - and I need help if at all possible.

I photographed about 600ish images today (Canon 6D, Sony 64GB SD card) between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. today.

At around 12 p.m., I powered the camera off and went to offload the first batch of mages onto my laptop.

It said there were 188 files on the card. I thought I had photographed a little more, but didn't pay it much attention.

I re-inserted the card into the camera and resumed photographing. The images were all showing up on my camera's LCD as I photographed. I could toggle through them, zoom in and out, and the "info" was showing with histogram and such as I went. The red "write" light was showing up also.

At 4 p.m., I pulled the card again and went to offload. It said 188 images. I knew something was wrong.

I re-inserted the card into the camera, and only those 188 images were showing.

I photographed some "test" images. All were there...and I could toggle, zoom, see info, etc.

But I powered the camera off and back on, and all of the "test" images I just did were also gone...only the original 188 were left.

I inserted the card into another camera and tested again. I could again take images, toggle, zoom through the ones I just took...powered off, back on...and GONE.

I have run Disk Drill recovery, and it recovered nearly 2,600 images (CR2 raw files), but none of them were from today...even the 188 that I could still see on the disk.

I downloaded EaseUS partition recovery, and it also found the nearly 2,600 same images...but none of the ones I lost today.

I feel like since I could create photos, zoom, see info, toggle, etc. until the camera was powered off that the images are THERE, I just don't know HOW to access them or if it's even possible at this point.

I cannot run a Quick Format on the card. It gives me a "Windows Cannot Complete The Format" error.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: SD Card STRANGE Partition (?) issue! Help!

Post by lcoughey »

Any chance of your card is a fake? I suggest you try to get a full sector by sector image of the card, to start.
gcgarner

Post by gcgarner »

I don't think it's a fake. I have used it for 3 years now without issue.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Try getting a full sector-by-sector image and let us know how it goes. If it fails to complete, it would suggest a physical issue with the card, which is not uncommon, and may require professional recovery assistance.
ddrecovery
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by ddrecovery »

gcgarner wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 am I don't think it's a fake. I have used it for 3 years now without issue.
When you mount the card in your PC/Mac, what size does the card show?
fzabkar
Lurker

Post by fzabkar »

Could the card be in read-only mode?
gcgarner

Post by gcgarner »

Thanks for the replies. We just re-photographed the subjects on the corrupt card. It's in the trash :-)