I made a mistake. Need help/advice

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
whatifwe

I made a mistake. Need help/advice

Post by whatifwe »

Hi everyone.
Unfortunately I made a terrible mistake with my Western Digital My Book Studio 2TB External Hard Drive with Metal Enclosure.
It started doing a clicking sound and couldn't be recognised by the computer. Searching for answers and solutions, I ended up watching youtube videos with people doing repairs.. Now you can already imagine the rest of the story. I opened it and unfortunately I left my fingerprints on the platter. I didn't know that it was so dangerous. I'm based in the UK and I had conversations with some data recovery labs that I checked on google (based on the good reviews). I even went to one in person and the guy after seeing that the hd had been open, and noticing the fingerprints, told me that it's over. The other labs also told me almost the same thing, and they would have charged hundreds even if the attempted repair was unsuccessful.

I sent it to Sean from PCImage Data Recovery and he got back to me and said that the hard drive was unrecoverable.
Even though after cleaning the platter the situation seemed pretty good, he said that he used two donor drives for replacement heads and each time the new heads were destroyed almost instantly by the damaged media.
Do you think it's really over? Do you think there might be somebody in the world that is a genius and works on impossible cases?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: I made a mistake. Need help/advice

Post by lcoughey »

In cases like these, there is always a chance that it "might" still be recoverable. But, not without significant cost, time and effort. That is, it could take 10 sets of donor heads to get 25% of the data recovered, over a period of several months. Would you be willing to pay a base rate for the attempt and cover the cost of each set of donor heads with a possible money pit?

If Sean @ PCImage didn't charge you anything for the parts or attempt, he is very kind, as that likely cost him hundreds of dollars. My thought is, if your data isn't worth your risking your money, why should I? Personally, I trust Sean's assessment.

As you are not the first to be lead down this path of destruction, I also recommend legal action against the people who provided the online advice for you to open your drive.

As for your data, if there is to be any hope, you need to be prepared to spend hundreds or even thousands for any further attempts, knowing that the odds are now very low.
whatifwe

Post by whatifwe »

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately there's plenty of youtube videos like that, not just one.

I was asking cause maybe there might be somebody somewhere on the other side of the world, that deals with impossible cases more regularly. And maybe through this forum I could get a recommendation. But if you say that Sean is one of the very best, maybe I can offer him more money and see if he can make further attempts.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

You'd need to ask Sean.
Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by Amarbir[CDR-Labs] »

whatifwe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 pm Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately there's plenty of youtube videos like that, not just one.

I was asking cause maybe there might be somebody somewhere on the other side of the world, that deals with impossible cases more regularly. And maybe through this forum I could get a recommendation. But if you say that Sean is one of the very best, maybe I can offer him more money and see if he can make further attempts.
Hi There ,
Can You Gimme Some Links Of The Youtube Videos You Visited Please .I Have Tonns Of Info To Share With You
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon
CDRLabs ,Chandigarh ,India
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

@whatifwe Amaribir at CDR in India is the first guy to come to mind when it comes to handling a messed up, low odds case like this. He certainly gets a lot of practice and is stubborn enough to keep trying when the best of us throw in the towel.
whatifwe

Post by whatifwe »

lcoughey wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:19 pm @whatifwe Amaribir at CDR in India is the first guy to come to mind when it comes to handling a messed up, low odds case like this. He certainly gets a lot of practice and is stubborn enough to keep trying when the best of us throw in the towel.
If Amaribir at CDR is willing to try, knowing that Sean considers my hard drive a lost cause, I'm willing to put my faith in him.
Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by Amarbir[CDR-Labs] »

whatifwe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:28 pm
lcoughey wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:19 pm @whatifwe Amaribir at CDR in India is the first guy to come to mind when it comes to handling a messed up, low odds case like this. He certainly gets a lot of practice and is stubborn enough to keep trying when the best of us throw in the towel.
If Amaribir at CDR is willing to try, knowing that Sean considers my hard drive a lost cause, I'm willing to put my faith in him.
Well,
Please Send The Youtube Links You Refereed Too ,A Humble Request ,Do Check This Long Video Also -> https://youtu.be/17XRilKm9FI [ 40 Minutes Video ]
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon
CDRLabs ,Chandigarh ,India
whatifwe

Post by whatifwe »

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Well,
Please Send The Youtube Links You Refereed Too ,A Humble Request ,Do Check This Long Video Also -> https://youtu.be/17XRilKm9FI [ 40 Minutes Video ]
I checked my youtube history and the videos I watched were many, they could be even 20. Do you want me to send them privately?
How do you feel about a case like mine?
I'm currently watching your video.
whatifwe

Post by whatifwe »

whatifwe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 pm
Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Well,
I checked my youtube history and the videos I watched were many, they could be even 20. Do you want me to send them privately?
How do you feel about a case like mine?
I'm currently watching your video.
I was waiting for Amarbir's answer but nothing so far..