Lost notes from several unsaved Wordpad windows

Got a data recovery situation and have a question? This is where to ask.
Dimitri001
Lurker

Lost notes from several unsaved Wordpad windows

Post by Dimitri001 »

I had sveral Wordpad windows open with some extremely important text in them when Windows crashed. None of the text was saved, it was just in open, unsaved Wordpad windows.

I looked in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\WordPad and the folder is empty (hidden files are set to show).

Is there any way for me to get this stuff back? It is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY important.

I'm running Windows 10.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Lost notes from several unsaved Wordpad windows

Post by lcoughey »

The odds are slim to none. The file would have only existed in RAM which would be cleared upon system reboot.
Dimitri001
Lurker

Post by Dimitri001 »

I read that it apparently saves temp files in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\WordPad, but the folder is empty for me. I'm trying to find some data recovery software which would allow me tell it to look in that folder in particular.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

You can try R-studio, which is likely your best bet. You may have to scan the full partition, then look through all the found raw TXT files.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Of course, the drive being scanned should be connected to another system and absolutely no data can be written to it. Every time it boots, temp and log files get written. Every email and Web page loaded, files get written. Downloaded and installed programs write to the drive.

The amount of space used by a text file will be really small, so it won't take much to overwrite.
Cassie W

Post by Cassie W »

You have great chance to find them back. In addition to saving path, you can turn to a data recovery app. After scanning the partition, unfold the scanning results to locate the text. Many data recovery programs can help, such as SPAM LINK REMOVED.

Moderator Note: MiniTool is nothing more than a bunch of spammers.