Can i get back damaged files?

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Re: Can i get back damaged files?

Post by Joep »

lcoughey wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Joep wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:06 pm Just a heads up, remove if it's considered spam: This is a new tool (JPEG Recovery LAB) that also supports recovery of fragmented JPG, NEF, CR2 and MP4 files. Note that although it may work on hard disks, it was designed with smaller media like memory cards in mind.

https://www.disktuna.com/jpeg-recovery- ... -recovery/

It needs a beefy PC. 8 GB RAM minimum, 2 GB per CPU core. It's also sloooow, but that's the nature of the beast.

Joep
Don't worry, we consider everything you post as SPAM.
:lol:
http://www.disktuna.com - video & photo repair & recovery service
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

lcoughey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 pm Please do follow-up. It is not only helpful for us to know what worked and didn't work, but the information is useful for others who may stumble upon this thread with the same questions.
hey. I downloaded CNW but im finding it sort of confusing. Its pretty advanced. Can you help by telling me which scan I should run if im trying to find deleted .mov files? And what settings I should run with? Would really appreciate the help thanks!
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Hi,

I may have missed this but, what is the file system on the drive the data was deleted from? I am asking because:

Luke mentioned fragmentation can be an issue when recovered files are corrupt. But fragmentation is more problematic on for example FAT32 then it is on NTFS. So, it is important to know the file system to weigh this factor.

I do not know what software you used initially, but trying other software some times does make sense. R-Studio is great software to try. ReclaiMe is my favorite for suggesting, specially to people not used to using data recovery software regularly.

So.

- IF the fie system was in fact NTFS, good file recovery software should be able to recover even fragmented files. Try at least one of the utilities Luke and I mentioned.

- IF the file system was FAT based (FAT, FAT32, exFAT) then fragmentation IS an issue. You will indeed need a special carver like mentioned CnW or my own JPEG Recovery LAB to reconstruct fragmented files.

However, for both CnW and JPEG Recovery LAB expect the software to need a lot of time to puzzle back files together. JPEG Recovery LAB will also need a beefy PC (more cores = better, more memory = better, 8 GB minimum).
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Hey thanks for the reply.

Will you software recover .mov files? or just jpeg/image files?
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Joep wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:53 pm Hi,

I may have missed this but, what is the file system on the drive the data was deleted from? I am asking because:

Luke mentioned fragmentation can be an issue when recovered files are corrupt. But fragmentation is more problematic on for example FAT32 then it is on NTFS. So, it is important to know the file system to weigh this factor.

I do not know what software you used initially, but trying other software some times does make sense. R-Studio is great software to try. ReclaiMe is my favorite for suggesting, specially to people not used to using data recovery software regularly.

So.

- IF the fie system was in fact NTFS, good file recovery software should be able to recover even fragmented files. Try at least one of the utilities Luke and I mentioned.

- IF the file system was FAT based (FAT, FAT32, exFAT) then fragmentation IS an issue. You will indeed need a special carver like mentioned CnW or my own JPEG Recovery LAB to reconstruct fragmented files.

However, for both CnW and JPEG Recovery LAB expect the software to need a lot of time to puzzle back files together. JPEG Recovery LAB will also need a beefy PC (more cores = better, more memory = better, 8 GB minimum).
Hey, I downloaded the trial of your software. After 12 hours of scanning for video files, the app crashed in the analysis stage. I re-launched and tried to recover the scan from the autosave, but it crashes immediately after I select the drive.
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Hello,

Oh bummer! I am really sorry about that! I can look at telemetry but can you then answer this for me:

Is this "Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz" your CPU?

BTW the way, I am not sure if Luke is okay with trouble shooting my product in his forum. So, maybe we should take this to email?
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Hey, Im not sure of the specifics but I do know that it is a core i5 indeed. Sure no problem, Ill PM you my email
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Hi,

I asked Luke if he's okay with this, let's continue here until we have an answer. It's nice to have everything in one thread.

So, okay, are you scanning a 465 GB or so disk then? I need to know what telemetry file to look for on my server ..
Joep
Official Product Rep

Post by Joep »

Okay assuming I have the right file.

Try to get an update for you tomorrow? Would that work? May have to get you another one after that, depending on results. Normally we'd ask for a disk image but that's kind of impractical with a 465 GB disk ..

We can trouble shoot this, and have some idea, but I don't know how much time you have to wait for me and if you're still using this hard disk (you shouldn't as long as files aren't recovered).

BTW, just got word from Luke, he's okay with using the forum for this. Let's keep it here then.
sakajo
Lurker

Post by sakajo »

Ok excellent. Thanks Luke.

Yes its a 465 GB Samsung external hard disk. I made sure to never use this disk after deleting the files in case I need to recover them, smart me :)
I would like to recover them as soon as possible, but no pressure as long as I can get them eventually.

Btw I love how you can actually preview the full file in your software, something I havent found in any other data recov software I have used. Hope we can find a fix! Let me know if you need any other info from me :)