Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Home Issues

A place to discuss pretty much anything related to storage, computers, data recovery or technology.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Home Issues

Post by lcoughey »

Although this really has nothing to do with data recovery, I thought it might be useful to share online for someone else who might be in the same situation as me. We recently got a new laptop that came with Windows 10 Home on it. But, because we connect to a Windows 2003 Active Directory, we paid to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. After the upgrade, we joined the laptop to the domain, rebooted and every time we tried to login to the domain, no matter what account, we would get an wrong username and password error. Having several other windows 10 systems already working fine on our network, this seemed quite odd.

We tried the upgrade 3 times and each time it failed to work. Searching the web suggested that we were the only ones to ever encounter this issue, but I'm sure that is not the case.

So, we set out to install Windows 10 Pro directly on the laptop, fresh, without upgrade from Windows 10 home, but unfortunately, no matter what we tried, it never prompted us for the version and always installed home. It took a lot of googling and forum reading before we found a page that outlined how to get Windows 10 install to prompt for which version of windows to install. You can find the full page here. My summary is as follows:

Create a text file with the following contents:

Code: Select all

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
Name the file "ei.cfg" and copy it to the sources folder on your USB Windows install.

After we installed a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro, the system joined the domain and works without any issues, as it should have with the upgrade.
Munawar84

Re: Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Home Issues

Post by Munawar84 »

I am facing some similar kind issues after upgrading to Windows 10.