Issues / Feature Requests

lcoughey
Site Admin

Issues / Feature Requests

Post by lcoughey »

As I see things mentioned online by other users or posted in the comments below, I'll try to add them to the list. Hopefully, I'll be able to move things to an added list in the future.

Features
  • DE does not allow for the user to identify read-only drives connected to the system which should permanently remove them from the destination list during task creation
  • DE shows all connected drives in the destination list (except the boot drive), even if they are already assigned to another actively running task in DE. The only drives that should show in the list are those which are not tagged as read-only and not already being used by another task
  • Image by bitmap (either by sector status or by targeted files)
  • For Samsung and Seagate drives, show the terminal contents in the background when the family selection window is showing so we can see the output when we power the drive on
  • The ability to generate an SNAP2HTML like report of the file structure without having to save the files out to a destination drive, preferably showing which files are healthy and which files are damaged due to unread sectors.
  • Option to save configuration defaults on various windows in DE. (I'd like to have "Disable backward reading" unselected by default)
  • Add support for APFS, EXT, XFS, VMFS, ZFS
  • Add the ability to open a DE task without the source drive
  • Add a feature to enable/disable Western Digital SED
  • When editing SA modules, it would be nice to be able to select which copy to open or to open by ID or composite, as well
  • Provide an option to check and/or recalculate the checksum of a module
  • Have DE remember any found file systems, so that we don't need to do the same search every time we reopen the task
  • Add the ability to continue imaging the task while mounted in Windows
  • Add support for Hitachi 7210A9
  • Make DE read-only for the source, by default. It makes me nervous when I'm playing with the sector editor and it gives the option to save on the clone or both the clone and patient...too easy to make a mistake.
  • Add support for Microsoft Dynamic Disks
  • Add support for 4096k sector sizes in DE -> already supported.
  • Add support for Seagate Rosewood
  • RAID support via DE
  • Show the open task name in the top window header.
Issues
  • Long file paths - an option is added to MRT to disable the long file path, but that only works if saving out an entire folder. If you select various files and sub-folders to save out and choose to save the selected files, the long file path remains.
  • Samsung headmaps is reported as not working in version 2113, but does work in the previous version 170705
  • When creating task in DE and selecting "Modify MBR" the option is not actually activated and requires it to be manually set again in the task settings before imaging is started
  • Can't save resources if the save path is changed from C:\UserDatafile to D:\UserDataFile (screenshot in post below)
  • When imaging Valid Data (purple sectors) only, the statistics are counting down Read Remainder and not the Valid Data on the Task Statistics. If you stop the imaging and Recount Sector Map, it corrects the numbers, but there is definitely an annoying glitch that needs to be fixed
  • Damaged files stored in !Bad Files are being saved without a folder tree and should have the same folder path as the good files being saved out so we know where they came from
  • Bug with Venus Family (5400.3). Utility unable to read ATA overlays or ID drive correctly
  • WD Pinnacle PATA family unable to read ROM or SA
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Issues / Feature Requests

Post by lcoughey »

MRT has acknowledged that they have read this list. I've been informed that they say that there are some of these features already added/fixed, but I have no idea which. Perhaps, one of these days, they'll be so kind as to respond to this post with which ones they are speaking of. In the meantime, it is my understanding that they are looking into the others, which is nice, assuming that they actually do so.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Hitachi HTS721010A9E630 not detected

Post by lcoughey »

Update: This issue seems to have gone away. I thought, for sure, I rebooted the system yesterday when trying to troubleshoot it. But, it is gone now that I power it on this morning.

I have a Hitachi HTS721010A9E630 that does not ID on MRT. I tried port 0 and 2, neither worked. I tried to force the drive to detect with tech key using the closest utility match possible, as 7210A9 is not supported. The good news is, the drive detects flawlessly on PC3000.

7210A9-MRT.jpg
7210A9-MRT.jpg (153.1 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
7210A9-PC3K.jpg
7210A9-PC3K.jpg (222.1 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Just received a second 7210A9 drive that did not ID at all on MRT, yet IDs perfectly fine on PC3000.

Note: As just mentioned above, this issue seems to have gone away. I'll keep a close eye on it.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Edit: this issue was not an issue at all. I was just too dumb to notice that Windows assigned letter E to my data drive, not letter D. After fixing that, all is well.

I moved the default Save path from "C:\UserDataFile" to "D:\UserDataFile" and now get a "Failed to create a folder!" error when trying to save resources. It works fine when I move it back to the C drive. DE is still able to create a task and image drives with the save path set to the D drive.

MRT-Hitachi-Save-Resources-Error.png
MRT-Hitachi-Save-Resources-Error.png (73.58 KiB) Viewed 9413 times
MRTLab
Official Product Rep

Post by MRTLab »

HI, thank you for your feedback, we are checking now.
MRT Express&Ultra, Professional Data Recovery Tools
MRT can support Seagate F3 Head/Zone shielding
http://en.mrtlab.com/contact-us
LoboX
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by LoboX »

Feature
  • Change the current image file name to img0000000000.img, so 3rd party software can order the files automatically
michael chiklis
Lurker

Post by michael chiklis »

Hello,
i've found a bug relative to Seagate Momentus 5400.3 (Venus family).
Utility is not able to read ATA overlays and reads ID incorrectly.
Venus - Overlay and ID failure.jpg
Venus - Overlay and ID failure.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 9140 times
Watch the video on youtube also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmvBlgktjM&t=4s

P.S.
This drive is perfect, i can read all user data on surface. I also tried to read firmware modules of another good Venus drive that i have, it also behavies with exact same issue when reading ATA and ID.
michael chiklis
Lurker

Sediv is able to read fw resource from Venus correctly, i can prove it with this video:
02018-06-04-00h46m24s718.jpg
02018-06-04-00h46m24s718.jpg (241.63 KiB) Viewed 9106 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7NE0kFTmI&t=907s
michael chiklis
Lurker

I've found another MRT bug in WD utility, this time related to Pinnacle Pata family.
Utility is not able to read ROM and SA.
02018-06-04-02h19m53s483.jpg
02018-06-04-02h19m53s483.jpg (206.6 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TzDJFuhvXs