PATA Power for IDE Drives?

Discuss data recovery tools made by MRT Lab (http://en.mrtlab.com)
lcoughey
Site Admin

PATA Power for IDE Drives?

Post by lcoughey »

MRT Ultra has 1 PATA port, but no IDE cable was supplied and the only power connectors to the board are SATA. Using my own IDE cable only solves halve the problem. I'm left with a few options.

1. Splice their SATA power into an ATA/SATA power splitter
2. Try stealing the cable from my PC33000 system
3. Use an internal power connector which leaves us with no way to control the power from within the application
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: PATA Power for IDE Drives?

Post by lcoughey »

I've posted the question to the MFR forum, not only to find the actual answer, but to see how active MRT support is.
LarrySabo
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by LarrySabo »

I'm looking forward to your review, Luke. Sure wish I could afford a "PC33000 system!"
Last edited by LarrySabo on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

And their official response on their forum:
Hello dear, I am sorry for the inconvenience brought to you, but the convert IDE cable is not the official accessory of our MRT card, hope you can understand it.
So, although they provide an IDE channel on their card, a way to select IDE within the software and state on the website page,"Support of all IDE," they don't support IDE drives. So, the only option is to splice their supplied cable to make your own molex power connection to interface with their board and you have to supply your own IDE ribbon cable.

This is a huge marketing mistake on their part, as far as I'm concerned. Either remove the IDE port from the card and state that you don't support IDE or provide the cables necessary to use the port.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

I've been informed that a SATA to molex power converter exists. I've always done the reverse and never even thought that such an adapter needed to exist.