MRT Ultra Demo

Discuss data recovery tools made by MRT Lab (http://en.mrtlab.com)
lcoughey
Site Admin

MRT Ultra Demo

Post by lcoughey »

Yesterday, we received an MRT Ultra to test for the next month. As we unpackaged the unit, we found that it had a familiar look and feel, that of the PC3000 Express. We installed the hardware into a system with a fresh install of Windows 10 64-bit. The online registration process was relatively straight forward and we downloaded the software to install on our system. But, we cannot complete the installation until the serial number is matched to our newly created user account, which has not yet been activated.

I was hoping that because they are 12 hours away, they would have processed it through the night, but now that it is night for them there, I suspect that it will be sometime over the weekend when we get the activation. So, my first thought is that they need to improve this process to be much faster and consider an automated system like that used by ACE Laboratories for PC3000.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: MRT Ultra Demo

Post by lcoughey »

Due to a little mix up, MRT still hasn't activated our account. So, nothing to report today.
LarrySabo
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by LarrySabo »

I'm looking forward to your test results, Luke. It seems to me, their product is targeted to 1) those who are new to the game and are not yet prepared (or don't do enough DR) to make the financial commitment a PC3K requires, and 2) those who have a PC3K and are looking for something to handle workload peaks or to do simple tasks to off-load the PC3K while it handles the tough jobs.

For the first category, support and training are critical, yet from what I have read, MRT fails badly in this area. I have yet to see a positive comment about their service and I have heard that nothing is available by way of documentation or training, other than their forum and some online videos. In many respects, Dolphin Data Lab are their direct competitor when it comes to the first category and MRT needs to up their game considerably before they come close to matching DFL's support and appeal to novices.

For those who know their way around a PC3K, or are considering upping their game, your report should make really interesting reading. :)
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

Now that I've got the program registered, we can now open it up and see what it can do. My first test is going to be to see what I can do with a healthy 3TB Seagate, as well as see how fast it can image.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

A few issues that I've enountered already within the first hour of activation:
  1. I can't find the MRT equivalent to PC3000 Data Extractor, so I cannot test the imaging speed.
  2. I'm also unable to gain full terminal access to this newer locked down version of Seagate DM.
  3. Because of the huge time zone difference, I'll be losing at least one day of my 31 day license waiting for a 24 hour response to questions
  4. I can't ask a question on the forum, as it requires Administrator approval to create the account, meaning waiting 24 hours