Fast SSD to SSD Clone

A place to discuss disk imaging and cloning software and hardware.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Fast SSD to SSD Clone

Post by lcoughey »

I just upgraded an in-house SSD from 160GB to 256GB, using a StarTech imager to do the cloning. Wow! It was fast. Only 10 mintues and 33 seconds to complete the full disk clone of a 160GB SSD.

Source drive: 160GB Intel 320 SSDSA26W160G3L
Destination drive: 256GB Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250
Imager: Startech SATDUP11
Image Speed: 235MB/second

And that is only 1.88Gbps, only a fraction of the theoretical speed of 6Gbps SATA3.
othersteve

Re: Fast SSD to SSD Clone

Post by othersteve »

So I realize this post is seven years old (haha), but I just bought one of these also in an effort to further streamline my operations (and allow for easier wiping of a higher number of drives) and yeah, it's pretty impressive. They also have a new SATA + M.2 SATA + NVMe model, but it's like $800 unfortunately, so I'll have to wait for prices to come down a bit on that one.

Wish they could clone larger to smaller drives, but I understand the limitation on that. To bridge the gap and make life easier, I just ordered two of these, which are the first I've seen that support M.2 SATA and NVMe, and also hot swapping:

ACASIS USB C 10G to NVME and NGFF Docking Station for M2 SSD and SATA, Supports Hard Drives up to 8TB(NVMe&NGFF Docking, Space Grey)
Owner/Technician, Triple-S Computers

Former Senior Editor, Notebookcheck (US); Former Laptops Editor, PC Perspective