Photos from iphone 5s

SarahB

Photos from iphone 5s

Post by SarahB »

Hello, I really hope that someone can advise me. A few months ago a bottle of water leaked on my iphone in my bag and needless to say the iphone died. I thought that my photos were backed up but apparently not. Apple advised me to put it into a data recovery company and so I promptly did, to the company that was recommended to me by one of their employees. The company were useless and I did not get my photos back.

I have been assured that it is possible to recover them and I would really appreciate advice or recommendations from anyone of what to do next? I really would love to get my photos back as some of them were extremely sentimental. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sarah
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Photos from iphone 5s

Post by lcoughey »

Sarah,

With iPhone recoveries, it is more complicated than to simply copy files from the internal storage. Unless it is a very old model of iPhone, the data is completely encrypted and tied to your specific phone. So, in order to extract the files from your iPhone, the first step is to fix it.

Your best, and most affordable, option is to take your phone to a cell phone repair shop that works with iPhones. Just make sure that they are know that your main objective is to get the files off and that you want them to make sure that they don't do any repair that would jeopardize the chance of recovering your files.
SarahB

Post by SarahB »

Thank you for your reply. Do you think that there is a good chance that there will be someone will be able to do that for me? I was told that it was possible but I am now starting to wonder as it seems very hard to be able to find somewhere reputable that can do this. When I have connected it to a charger, the apple logo flashes. Does this mean anything?

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Sarah
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

If you tell me who you tried, I can tell let you know if I think that they are a reputable data recovery lab. Where are you located? I may know of a reputable mobile phone repair shop in your area.

It could be just a matter of changing the battery. But, there could be some corrosion which is causing a short, too. Assuming that the actually storage chips aren't toast, it should be fixable, in theory.
SarahB

Post by SarahB »

Hi Luke,

I am located in London, England. However, I travel frequently to the US if that is where you are thinking of? In particular; Chicago, San Diego, Austin, Houston, Washington DC and Las Vegas. If you do know any in London though that would be useful?

The company was actually world renowned but their customer service was shocking and I have a strong feeling that I was fobbed off. They are a huge global company and i believe my iphone was pushed to the bottom of their priority list behind much bigger lucrative data recovery jobs for multinational companies. I am not sure if I am able to name them on this forum but they are an American company and based in Surrey, England.

I really appreciate your advice.

Sarah
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

You need not worry about any issues mentioning their name on this forum. My guess is Ontrack.

I'm not familiar with any cell phone repair shops on your side of the lake. So, I've forwarded this thread to a few data recovery peers in the UK who may be able to help you out or direct you the right way.
SarahB

Post by SarahB »

Yes Kroll Ontrack.

Thank you, that is very useful. As I mentioned, I travel to the places mentioned in the US for work frequently so it would not be too much of a problem for me if you know of anywhere in those places. I am in Chicago for six days in November so that would be the most accessible.

Many thanks for all your help.

Sarah
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

A trusted colleague, Sean at www.pcimage.co.uk recommends www.astarforensics.com for iPhone recoveries. Perhaps it would be worth giving them a ring on the tele?
SarahB

Post by SarahB »

Oh great, thank you so much. I shall call them tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to help.

Thank you very much.

Sarah