8 x 2TB RAID 6 with 4 Drvie Failure - Pricing comparrison

Discuss RAID / NAS Servers, their issues and data recovery.
lcoughey
Site Admin

8 x 2TB RAID 6 with 4 Drvie Failure - Pricing comparrison

Post by lcoughey »

We have a RAID 6 case here now from a NAS with 4 of 8 (4TB) drives failed due to a power surge. We did some pricing around to see how our prices compared with other labs, all converted to Canadian dollars for consistency:

Recovery Force Price Range: $2800 - $7000 (actually being done for $2800)
Seagate Data Recovery: $11,128 (flat rate, based on their online calculator)
300 Dollar Data Recovery: $3,998 (flat rate, based on their online calculator, but believe they have an upper range, too, for physical head changes)
Drive Savers: $4,986 - $19,943 (based on economy service)
Ontrack: $7,000 - $18,000 (but they said they would price match Drive Savers)

Assuming that the other labs were to all charge at their bottom end of the scale, even though I highly doubt that Ontrack or Drive Savers would do so, our price is 30% cheaper than our cheapest competitor and 44% cheaper than Drive Savers.

A few questions as a result of this:

1. Should we charge more? (probably)
2. How do we get the word out that we are here and at a more affordable price?
Blizzard
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Re: 8 x 2TB RAID 6 with 4 Drvie Failure - Pricing comparrison

Post by Blizzard »

To start competing right now with Drivesavers, Ontrack, Seagate, and probably even 300DDR you'll need to buy ads. When you buy ads you'll be competing for ad placement with more DR labs like, krollontrack, easeus, Fields DR, Gillware, and probably even 300DDR. So your prices would have to increase to pay your marketing budget, which will be significant due to bidding wars for DR ads. And it doesn't help that big companies like Microsoft and ATT compete for data recovery ads too.
For long term solutions excluding ad purchases I don't know the answer.
MR Nguyễn

Post by MR Nguyễn »

The price of your service offered is very cheap. By the price we handle similar cases in Vietnam. :) :) :) :)
300ddr
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by 300ddr »

Just randomly found this in a google search, I know it's old, but wanted to state for the record that our rate is actually $2,400 (8 x $300) for an 8 drive RAID with drives 2TB or smaller. Not sure how you calculated $3,998. I think your rate is very fair. Also, I believe customer reviews are more effective than advertising to get new customers.
-Brian

Edit: title says 2TB but first post says 4TB. If 4TB drives, then our cost would actually be $3,200.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

300ddr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:28 pm Just randomly found this in a google search, I know it's old, but wanted to state for the record that our rate is actually $2,400 (8 x $300) for an 8 drive RAID with drives 2TB or smaller. Not sure how you calculated $3,998. I think your rate is very fair. Also, I believe customer reviews are more effective than advertising to get new customers.
-Brian

Edit: title says 2TB but first post says 4TB. If 4TB drives, then our cost would actually be $3,200.
Thanks for pointing it out. $3200 USD now equals about $4300 CAD (Google Currency Conversion)