Seagate - ST9500420AS (7200.4)

Discuss Seagate hard drives, their issues and data recovery.
pc3000

Seagate - ST9500420AS (7200.4)

Post by pc3000 »

I have got a ST9500420AS (7200.4) to recover

Symptoms: clicks (probably fell or got hit)

Already tried:

Replacing the HSA, but clicks ("not" the usual bad heads clicking) but "doesn't" spins down
tried to use the donor's top magnet, but still the same
Tried to use bottom magnet too, but still the same

Even tried to use the donor's PCB but still no avail.

I can get access to terminal for a few seconds before the drive freezes, then I checked CTRL + L (preamp type) and the donors preamp matches the patients.

The PCB from donor has a different printed number, I then tried a PCB with the same printed number (but diff. REV) its still BSY, but a bit different symptom

When I use the original PCB, the drive freezes stays BSY and the BSY light on PC3K get light green color

When I use the same PCB printed no. (But diff. REV) I'm getting LED: 000000EE FAddr: 00286DA6, and the drive restarts it self and getting LED EE.. over and over

I can get for very short period of time (from the restart till the led ee) let's say about 6 seconds, terminal access, but nothing more then that.
In that time (6 sec.) I tried to CTRL + X, but getting nonsense result

Forgot to mention, the HSA is working perfect when put back to donor

Also tried solution to HDD lock (led cc) but it hangs (freeze) forever with no progress

What can be the problem?
lcoughey
Site Admin

Re: Seagate - ST9500420AS (7200.4)

Post by lcoughey »

Did you try donor PCB from same firmware version of the drive, importing RAP, CAP and SAP from the patient ROM?
Jared
Official Data Recovery Lab Representative

Post by Jared »

Could be a media cache issue or similar file 93 issue as well. The fact that you can get terminal is a good sign. But, as Luke points out, it's not a bad idea to transfer in the head adaptives from the donor ROM to the patient ROM.
lcoughey
Site Admin

Post by lcoughey »

...you could always go into the resources section, choose to open the module 93 (or equivalent for this model) and see if you can edit it via terminal access. It might require you trying to open the resource, pressing stop, power the drive off and back on and hit refresh right away. If that works, you make your edits, power the drive off and back on and then quickly click to save to drive before the drive comes ready.
pc3000

Post by pc3000 »

lcoughey wrote:Did you try donor PCB from same firmware version of the drive, importing RAP, CAP and SAP from the patient ROM?
forgot to mention in the original post, I have tried it already, nothing changed
Jared wrote:Could be a media cache issue or similar file 93 issue as well.
1. The drive stays BSY forever, and cant get access to sysfile 8F (in this FAM. Its 8F) to remove everything there 2. Have tried the DDI trick for that - thanks to 300 $ data recovery for tip - but still nothing
Jared wrote:The fact that you can get terminal is a good sign.
1. Terminal access is just for a few (6-7) seconds before the drive freezes can't do nothing 2. I don't see how is this a good sign when CTRL x shows either zeros or garbage
lcoughey wrote:...you could always go into the resources section, choose to open the module 93 (or equivalent for this model) and see if you can edit it via terminal access. It might require you trying to open the resource, pressing stop, power the drive off and back on and hit refresh right away. If that works, you make your edits, power the drive off and back on and then quickly click to save to drive before the drive comes ready.
Thanks for the idea, but getting zip...
pc3000

Post by pc3000 »